New Cintiq drawing tablets cost a pretty penny

Originally published at: New Cintiq drawing tablets cost a pretty penny | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I bought a cintiq a couple years ago and I never use it. Runs in resolution emulation mode which makes some pro gfx software freak out. It’s just a super expensive paperweight now and takes up a ton of space on my desk but I can’t seem to bring myself to get rid of it.

2 Likes

Rob, I have the Huion Camvas you linked for painting - it’s good - but suggest you try an iPad with the Pencil. Regular 10" ipad. Procreate is a fantastic example of calm software, just enough tooling to paint and get immersed, and the Apple stylus (either version) feels pretty flawless. I found that the portability was a big deal for recreational evening drawing over the tethered flavors.

5 Likes

Agreed - I like the largest iPad personally but procreate is hard to beat for painting. Maybe if I was a professional matte painter, or worked for a game company that paid for it. The beauty of the iPad is it works great for note taking, email, video editing, 3D modeling, etc. about 75% of what I do. Still use a MacBook for figma, and creative cloud (PS,AI, AE, PR) but even there the illustrator for iPad often meets my needs.

1 Like

If you’re in Los Angeles, you can rent one from Mac Hollywood for about $200/week or try them in their showroom on Sunset Bl.

2 Likes

I have a newer-ish Intuos model and I enjoy it. I’ve always wanted the Cintiq ones but they’re just so unbelievably expensive it’s not really feasible for anyone unless they’re loaded or professionals

1 Like

Saw this mentioned on the former bird site, the consensus was that since companies like Huion and others are making just as good ones for cheaper, Wacom might as well go full bore with the pricier display tablets.
I mean $550 for a 16’ from huion ($400 on amazon) or $1600 from Wacom for a similar display.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for info on drawing tablets for artists, I recommend Brad Colbow’s YouTube channel. He focuses on “tech for creative people,” and he reviews hardware, software, and apps from the perspective of an illustrator. He’s done quite a few videos looking at less expensive brands like Huion and XP, for those making art on a budget, so they can get the best “bang for their buck.” I’ve found his work to be friendly, informative, and honest… and he basically agrees with everyone here when they say Cintiqs are lovely, but there’s plenty of great lower-priced options out there that work just fine.

I noodle around on a refurbished Samsung Tab S4 i picked up a few years back, and for what I do, I love it. The S-Pen is terrific for accuracy, the display is beautiful, and I’ve found apps that let me do pretty much whatever I want. The tablet doesn’t have a ton of memory, so it’s a little limiting, but most of the time I don’t notice it. (When I do, it’s usually either a limit on layers or a random app crash, which is annoying, but I can work around it.) And it’s got a nice-sized screen for websurfing, email, etc. The only downside is that Android doesn’t have access to Procreate or some of the other better-known art apps. There are some terrific alternatives out there, so I still have fun.

2 Likes

I use an Intuos I bought used off eBay. It’s at least 23 years old. It still works.

1 Like

I have a pretty old Intuos, the work area is real small. Like 4x5" and i still have it, it’s been very well used and loved but was having a difficult time getting the pressure sensitivity to work. Everything i tried didn’t work so i ended up buying a new one, which i also have enjoyed using

1 Like

I have an iPad Pro with the nice pencil, and aaaallll the apps. I like it! I haven’t had any luck at all using it for the usual photoshop workflow, but I’ll check in again on schedule.

1 Like

You use an ipad for 3d modeling?

One option for you: Photoshop can be run on a mac, if you do that OS, with the ipad tethered as an external monitor/input. This used to require apps on both, but Apple appears to have implemented something similar natively.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.