New Corvette owner drives car into tree

Good golly Miss Molly. That sounds positively hideous.

Clearly you suck at augury - it means youā€™re going to be the next Caesar.

2 Likes

Caesar the ruler, or that little dog on the food tins?

5 Likes

Incredibly expensive sports cars have a lot in common with fighter jets:

Iā€™ll never own one. Theyā€™re totally awesome. Theyā€™re terribly disgusting because of what they represent. If one is around, I will enjoy watching it do itā€™s thing.*

*Assuming Iā€™m not in a combat zone.

4 Likes

for some itā€™s fun and games like this guy crashing into trees, but for another corvette driver it was the same as putting a gun in his hand.

At least it didnā€™t catch fire, which is kind of a hobby of Lamborghinis.

2 Likes

Yes. The very same.

2 Likes

No problem, Isnā€™t this what insurance is for?

1 Like

What happened here? What would cause this and why wouldnā€™t the breaks prevent going into the woods?

No, Insurance is for taking your money and punishing you if you actually use the insurance.

4 Likes

Hey, weā€™ve always known that American cars donā€™t play well with cornersā€¦ but this is an intriguing new development.

Theyā€™re still working on a new model which can crash just from picking the keys upā€¦

1 Like

5 Likes

Not to stereotype or anything, but Corvette owners fishtailing on left turns is practically its own sub-genre of car crash videos on YouTube. This doesnā€™t surprise me.

Edit: apparently I have a defective memory, because the one I remember best was a Lambo, and the other examples I canā€™t find anymore.

Since Iā€™m linking, I do love this sweet karma.

2 Likes

with sound you can tell he lost control when the car upshifted, and there was a momentary change in torque, steering pressure, and directional correction. In other words he was over his head.

once heā€™s off the road you canā€™t brake on the dirt. He was probably going at least 50 when the auto transmission upshifted, torque changed, traction situation at each of the tires changed, and he was not a good enough driver to control it.

The article says itā€™s a manual with torque control but only in first gear. Iā€™m not sure why a (brand new!) rear-wheel-drive car with symmetrical rear axles would exhibit that kind of torque steer though ā€” guessing with that amount of power, the rotation of the crank- and driveshaft is enough to push it to the right, like propeller torque in a single-engine airplane?

ā€œ650 HP and 650 ft lbs of torqueā€ according to Chevy specs.

Welcome to the confluence of supercar horsepower in achievably priced ($80k) cars and ubiquitous portable video cameras. Thereā€™s going to be a lot of these videos.

Credit to the driver for trying this on a remote (though unforgiving) piece of tarmac instead of in front of the local Steak Nā€™ Shake.

1 Like

Of course, at a track he simply would have driven it into a wall instead of some trees. Or worse, if he was in the left lane, he could have driven it right into the person in the right lane.

I propose that instead, people that donā€™t know how to drive their insanely powerful cars should not be driving them in a manner that they cannot control, anywhere.

It looks like one or both wheels broke traction after the upshift - which makes sense, the engine rolls back to a lower rpm where it may have more torque. It may have been caused by inconsistency in the pavement that made one side break loose, gravel or oil patch, but once the rear wheels are spinning the whole car will rotate around the front wheels, and if you are not pointing the right way you will go right off the side of the road.

At a track they would have inquired as to his experience and seen the lack thereof if heā€™d lied about it. There would not have been any other cars out there and he would have had an instructor to tell him all about second gear.

Seriously, they make it inexpensive enough at tracks because they want people to use their cars responsibly, itā€™s not a huge number. No car should be driven by anyone who cannot control it. I propose that when you buy one of these cars it comes with track time and an instructor.

1 Like