New device lets you sleep forward on a plane

Originally published at: New device lets you sleep forward on a plane | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The Core77 article is particularly fun, because it shows all the prototypes with jagged-edge plywood with un-sunken screw heads sticking out of dowels and duck-taped pipe insulation over dinged-up metal. They’re like post-apocalyptic business class resting devices.

5 Likes

How does this work when the person sitting in front of you, who is really uncomfortable because modern airplanes, is constantly moving and adjusting trying in vain to get comfortable? Your device is attached to the tray table, which is attached to their seat.

9 Likes

True, the other use case is, when you are seated at the bulkhead seats that have no seats in front of them (behind first class, or in front of a horizontal aisle on a wide-body jet.) Those in-seat fold out trays are not that strong, compared to the trays attached to the seat in front.

2 Likes

That’s a helluva long flight. Longest I’ve ever done was 18 hours Chicago-Hong Kong. Was there mid-air refueling involved?

6 Likes

I think mostly the tray tables attach to the lower/fixed frame of the seat in front rather than the part that adjusts, so that part shouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

Decides to recline, right into your face?

(They say it’s fine in the video, but they also show more space between rows in their hypothetical set-up than I’ve seen in years, including in most business sections.)

10 Likes

Great idea, but it needs a drool cup.

12 Likes

It must have been multiple legs of an inefficient route (or he’s counting both ends of a round trip). A single 32 hour flight would pretty much get you back to where you started.

2 Likes

Rather than bring a one-use bespoke thing in my precious carryon space, I pile up my jacket and carryon on the tray table in front of me and use that as my prop.

6 Likes

TruRest: $145
Airline’s charge for damaged seatback tray: an arm & a leg, figuratively speaking
Ensuing hilarity: priceless

7 Likes

Sometimes it’s not figurative if you get a DVT

I was going to point this out, the image shows what looks like 4 times the leg room of a typical US airline economy seat.

3 Likes

I suspect they’re including delays in one airport or another. When I flew from Beijing to Madison, we ran into multiple hour delays in both the Beijing and Chicago airports.

It’s not flight time, but it adds to the exhaustion–and if you go to sleep in the airport you risk missing your flight.

2 Likes

Imagine the contact impression TruRest would leave on users’ faces. If that thing ever takes off (pun intended) it will leave its mark (another pun).

1 Like

That is the roomiest airplane seat I’ve ever seen.

ITYM (pun indented)

2 Likes

checks out

1 Like

Also no airliner has that kind of range :smile:

2 Likes

Even with layovers, 32 hours is a long trip. I think the longest I’ve done was US to India with an 8 hour layover in London, with worked out to about 26 hours of total travel time.

That’s not saying it couldn’t be done, though. Add second-tier cities on both ends of that trip and it could have easily stretched out to that.

1 Like