New HOA to define and enforce "Patriotism"

This is how to do flag-based expression of patriotism. And no one ordered him to do it.

epic-flag

10 Likes

Yeah i would love it if HOAs were severely restricted into what they could enforce because as it is they have a comical amount of authority. Thankfully the area where i just bought my house has a relatively chill HOA but that doesn’t mean it’ll always stay that way.

10 Likes

Boy, was RAH ever wrong about that!

9 Likes

Because nothing says “Freedom!” than being forced to do something. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

As I said in the catch-all topic about ammosexuals:

7 Likes

Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

8 Likes

Speaking of flags…
Maine’s Down East region is where the sunlight first kisses a U.S. state’s soil each day, where the vast wilderness and ocean meet in one of the last places on the East Coast unspoiled by development.
Which makes it a striking backdrop to one family’s bold vision for the region: a flagpole jutting upward from the woodlands toward spacious skies — the tallest one ever, reaching higher than the Empire State Building. And atop it? A massive American flag bigger than a football field, visible from miles away on a clear day.

4 Likes

What about the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Ah, a U.S. ‘state’s’ soil. Sneaky, that!

5 Likes

They can fuck right off with that.

7 Likes

Surely you’ve not the audacity to imply an ideological inconsistency on the part of our uber-patriotic brethren!

4 Likes

Shouldn’t be, if the flags are illuminated.

1 Like

So - while I probably would have ate this up as a little kid, I hate this sort of force patriotism. This Soviet Bloc had this sort of mandatory patriotism too, but even they didn’t have “you must fly the flag everyday, all year”.

Congrats, you out did the Soviets!

5 Likes

Yeah well, his characters were always champion pistol shots, usually shot first, always hit their target, uninvolved bystanders never got hit by stray bullets, and they had plot armor up to the point of being the god of their own universe.

5 Likes

This is not quite as ambitious, but the same level of ‘patriotic’ assholery.

From yesterday’s today’s Guardian:

4 Likes

That was in today’s dead tree edition. I was about to post it.

2 Likes

Meh.

Except on official buildings and such, i personally feel it dilutes the meaning of it when it’s displayed by every joe sixpack 24/7. We only put ours out in daylight hours on the recommended days.

3 Likes

You are correct - I read it in the Daily Editions app (subscriber only) which is supposed to be a facsimile of the day’s paper. I thought I had seen it there today but the Guardian web page found courtesy of Google had a dateline of one day earlier. :man_shrugging:

See edit in post above. :wink:

3 Likes

That’s because the dateline is when the story was published online.

2 Likes

(Of course - but I edited my post because it WAS in today’s Guardian.)

2 Likes

Man, I guess this is one way to prevent lgbtq+ people from flying that pesky rainbow flag. Glad freedom is mandatory now.

5 Likes