New Jeopardy host Mike Richards quits after podcast with sexist and antisemitic jokes surfaces

I like Lavar Burton. I like him a lot. I am also a huge Jeopardy fan. Burton was terrible in his week as guest host. I think he may have been trying too hard. I’d love to see him get another quest host week, since Sony announced they’re going to have more guest hosts until they announce a new permanent host.

13 Likes

Just saw this, and it sounds like the quitting was only as the new host. It seems Richards will continue in his executive producer position, and be part of the selection process for a new host:

18 Likes

Agree that Vanna doesn’t add much (even less now that the letters are all electronic), but I think Pat Sajak is undervalued; his dry sense of humor and incredibly relaxed manner are perfect for the show ​and I can’t imagine anyone else taking his place. His only shortcoming is a very slight scent of condescension, probably due to the fact that he knows he is way overqualified for his role.

5 Likes

Of course not, but like Jeopardy, it is kind of their show and sooner or later things need to end.

Although, I miss the buying of prizes. I’ll take the pen and pencil set for 600 bucks Chuck and put the rest on a gift certificate.

8 Likes

That’s a very good question. You should direct it to the Executive Producer of Jeopardy, Mike Richards.

21 Likes

Remember when Levar Burton was interviewed by Megan McCain and said “cancel culture” was actually “consequence culture”? Yeah, that feels appropriate to mention here.

20 Likes

In “nerds pushing a nerd into a locker” news…

24 Likes

If we can’t have Levar - I nominate @Tamsin_Bailey.

She’ll make it fun!

25 Likes

Pat Sajak is proof that there is a wide chasm between “funny for a game show host” and “actually funny” as his attempt at a late night show demonstrated.

6 Likes

I never saw this guy’s face until a week ago and I’m already very sick of seeing it.

6 Likes

“I’ll take, “What does a total non-apology look like?”, for $40,000, Mike.”

14 Likes

@mr_raccoon Should that be, “My job is NOT in Jeopardy, because of my past comments”? :grin:

8 Likes

Yeah, they can take away your medical license, but absent fraud or plagiarism they don’t really have a will or an ability to take away your PhD.

9 Likes

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is botanically a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put one in a fruit salad.

10 Likes

Make Robin Roberts the perm host. She did a great job.
Hell, as I may have noted another time - I’d take Joe Buck over Richards.

2 Likes
10 Likes

So. Me? :smiley:

5 Likes

I heard some quotes from the offending material and learned it was while he was executive producer of the Price is Right. This was on the radio while I was driving so I alway take it with a grain of salt but I would not be surprised if he is out of the executive producer spot soon enough.

3 Likes

Sounds reasonable. I hope they give him a week or two of guest hosting to see how he does.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t care as long as he isn’t host.

1 Like