New Jersey woman mad at long lines in vehicle office smashes computers and kicks cops

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/08/new-jersey-woman-mad-at-long-l.html

6 Likes

My father worked at the NJ MVSC. This happens every now and again. That’s why there are cops at the front door. Working with the public is trying.

5 Likes

No idea how it’s done elsewhere, but the California DMV allows one to handle almost all ‘business’ via the mail… and if a new photo is required, one can make an appointment online and be able to jump whatever queue you find; that’s how I got to see a clerk for a new photo the moment I walked into the DMV building; I walked in ~5 minutes prior to my appointement… looked around for a seat… then heard my name called out. Never sat down!

6 Likes

“Institution Green” walls can make people see red:

2 Likes

Is it me, or are we seeing more people blowing a fuse these days?
(Or is it that we have the web to spread these happenings.)

1 Like

Could be both. No word, though, if the fuse-blowing “per capita” has actually increased.

3 Likes

11 Likes

No video? How can we publicly shame, ridicule, and humiliate this woman if we can’t even see her in action?

2 Likes

No, Because then you’d be able to see how ridiculously slow the NJBMV is.

2 Likes

My CA DL expires the middle of this month, so in early December I thought I would get well ahead of all this and… next available appt. wasn’t until MID FEBRUARY. I was so demoralized I’ve just been ignoring the problem and now have to make sure I can spend a whole day there sometime in the next week and a half.

I’m glad it worked out for you but that’s twice now I’ve tried to use the appt. system and the lead times are absurd enough to render it useless.

5 Likes

Obligatory a/f:

DMV Hell

7 Likes

Gotta work with the DMV lead times. The price for not waiting in queue hell.

4 Likes

If she can manage to appear before a jury … she’ll walk. She might get a standing ovation.

But more seriously – either I’ve had a lifetime of luck at the DMV, or I’ve discovered a fundamental truth: if you’re friendly and kind toward the DMV workers, and treat them like any sentient human being would like to be treated,

they will be more inclined to move mountains to help you. It’s worked for me.

Especially if they’re visibly in a foul mood. “Rough day, huh? Man, that last guy was a piece of work … ” You can turn their day right around.

14 Likes

I don’t know about NJ, but if it’s anything like NY, dealing with their bureaucracy is beyond trying. I never appreciated how polite, professional, and competent the folks at the Oregon DMV are until I wound up living in NY for a while. Every interaction I had with the NY DMV was a complete nightmare, and always for reasons that are beyond stupid.

NYwas even worse than Japan for excessive and overbearing bureaucracy, and that’s saying something.

5 Likes

No video necessary. Watching the NJBMV in action looks exactly like a still photo.

5 Likes

I’m not saying she’s RIGHT, I’m just saying I understand.

6 Likes

Did it speed up the lines?

2 Likes

Please New Jersey, don’t go florida man on us, or Florida woman…

1 Like

CopKicker.jpeg

3 Likes