New line of action figures for psychedelic 60s cult TV show "The Prisoner"

I am told that the original kit cars, like the one the Prisoner says he built, were absolutely terrifying. They were so fast that supposedly they were banned by British Racing for a time, and you are sitting about 8 inches off the pavement in a vehicle that has no floor that you yourself assembled with hand tools from written instructions. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Does anyone else still hear the beeps from the Apple II game of The Prisoner when they think of "Be seeing you?

I think I was in my 40’s before I realized that that game was based on a TV show.

3 Likes

Oh that’s easy. Let me walk you through it. You see what was really hap

[this post has been withdrawn and the author declared UNMUTUAL]

8 Likes

Not me, as I was not one lucky enough to have regular computer access until I was a fully grown adult…

3 Likes

Instuctions? Oh no, not allowed. I’m told that at the time the rules that allowed the tax exemption for these kit cars prevented actual instructions being supplied, and that Lotus instead included a book detailing how to disassemble a fully built car. The buyer would reverse the process. I have no idea if this is true, but I like the story so much I don’t want to goodle it and find out the possibly upsetting truth

3 Likes

Colin Chapman was apparently convinced anyone over 5 foot 5 inches was a freak of nature so “full size” may not be enough. Every time I see a “7” I try to gauge the likelihood of fitting into it. So far, not plausible :slight_smile: I think maybe Caterhams are bigger but I dunno.
While I’m very much in favour of electric cars, I don’t worry too much about classic cars running on gas. There’s not enough of them and those that do exist may not be frequently used in many cases. I wouldn’t be too surprised to learn that it would be better to run through the life of existing gas powered cars in general transportation use as well, rather than junk them and replace with new electrics, from a carbon in the atmosphere perspective. The “Engineering Explained” YouTube channel has a video or two that seem to suggest this. That’s a good channel for electric car info BTW, he has had a Leaf and now has a Tesla, and tests electric cars when he gets the opportunity

1 Like

IMDb says that Patrick McGoohan was 6’ 2". I’d believe that he was very uncomfortable in that 7 and did it anyway because it looked cool.

3 Likes

He was also a gymnast IIRC so that might have helped :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it’s worth a watch but it can be a frustrating experience, there are some definite high moments but on occasion it goes well off the rails into high concept weirdness that i found difficult to get through. I don’t know whether that’s because it’s a product of its time or what but i certainly grokked the cold war, drug-fueled paranoia aspect to it. Also i think viewing order helps here, i went with the 6 of 1 viewing order which just helps with the continuity of it all.

2 Likes

I know someone who built one based on a 1500cc Triumph Dolomite. It would pull wheelies in second gear.

1 Like
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.