New Mexico sheriff openly defies Gov. Grisham emergency gun ban order (video)

Originally published at: New Mexico sheriff openly defies Gov. Grisham emergency gun ban order (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Scared Scaredy Cat GIF

22 Likes

So how do you arrest a sheriff?

10 Likes

I think that Bob Marley (recorded by that old scumbag Eric Clapton) gave us the clue

9 Likes

His job is to enforce the laws, not interpret them.

A public servant who does not do his/her job should be fired.

Period.

33 Likes

His little costume is adorable. Maybe expand the epaulets and add a few more stars, and a fourragere for each arm. You know, to truly befit the rank of sheriff in Possum Pouch, New Mexico.

Clown

24 Likes

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC
Welcome to the BBS!

16 Likes

… it should just be called “road rage carry” :thinking:

9 Likes

… tragically, sheriffs are elected :disappointed:

8 Likes

State troopers?

3 Likes

Hey, that child showed individual disrespect by flipping the bird out the back window. Everyone should expect highway murders when there’s so much disrespect. How do you keep children from doing stupid stuff in your car? Where are they learning it? If that is their individual code of honor, then let them experience the consequences. Me, I’m gonna do what’s right and if that means ignoring my own professional oaths then so be it. What were we talking about again? :roll_eyes: This might be the governor’s method to draw the Yosemite Sams out for clear identification.

3 Likes

prop a box up with a stick and put a bribe under it

16 Likes

I wonder if it might help to have another contemporary gun-happy figure to lampoon the way they used to do Yosemite Sam? Aw, who am I kidding? The right would gladly accept that as being manly.

Angry Looney Tunes GIF

:arrow_up: Hysterics. :arrow_up:

6 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. I mean, if he was even slightly smart, he could have pushed back against the order by saying he didn’t think it was constitutional, or that the governor didn’t have that kind of authority, and there would be a ostensible degree of integrity in his refusal, as one could make arguments for both. But of course he doesn’t argue that - because he obviously doesn’t give a shit about constitutionality or abuse of power. Like most law enforcement, he’s perfectly happy to be a power-abusing, unconstitutional thug. So instead his argument is, “he didn’t ask me and I don’t like it” - which, as arguments go for a sheriff refusing a governor’s order, clearly doesn’t hold any water. (I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of those delusional idiots who think sheriffs hold ultimate constitutional authority in the country.) I hope he gets dragged for this.

10 Likes

But it’s not a law. It’s an emergency order by the executive branch.

ETA - the rest is not a direct reply, just general comment:

Even for some well known gun control advocates, an executive/emergency order like that is a bridge too far and probably not constitutional, and certainly not the legislative change they have been promoting.

Meanwhile, right wing goons are praising/acknowledging such authoritarian use of power. Spencer spelling it out that he is ok with it as long as it is clearly used to target “gang-bangers”.

6 Likes

Part of enforcing the law is interpreting them. Though, this isn’t a law, it’s a power grab by the Governor. What’s next, suspending the 4th amendment so that they can round up those nasty criminals?

Though, part of doing their job is upholding their oath of office and the Governor is doing a flagrantly bad job of it, so I agree that she should be fired.

3 Likes

The executive branch enforces laws. The judicial branch interprets laws

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade; you’ll fit right in :+1:

3 Likes

These tweets are making me do the Vincent-Vega-in-an-empty-room GIF in my head.

2 Likes

I wonder if the sheriff would say the same thing if the Gov imposed a temporary/emergency curfew in the face of protests? Like if a ton of people took to the streets to protest certain police killings. Can’t interfere with 1st amendment right to assemble, right?

8 Likes