New NYC clothing store called Fugazi is not a Fugazi t-shirt store

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/26/new-nyc-clothing-store-called-fugazi-is-not-a-fugazi-t-shirt-store.html

7 Likes

Given that the term existed prior to the band using it as their name, could they still sue? :thinking: I think an argument could be made that there could be confusion? I’m not sure Ian would care, though?

8 Likes

Mike Herrera What GIF by mxpx

10 Likes

That they smeared a veneer of anti-consumerism on top of their cash grab? Consumerism-critical fashion is an untapped market!

13 Likes

Pop Tv Celebrity GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Other than that the marketing pukes have discovered postmodernist discourse…

Pedro Pascal Laugh GIF by Golden Globes

8 Likes

13 Likes

I’ll be making DIY bootleg Fugazi not a Fugazi shirts.

3 Likes

This is like some kind of late stage capitalism satire I’d hear on a Negativland album alongside phrases like “candid media saturation campaign”.

8 Likes

I read Fugazi®’s statement and was reminded of “Tell me what you’re going to tell me, then tell me, then tell me what you told me.” That is NOT the definition of ANY style of humor, so I can only assume they earnestly meant every word - which makes me sad.

3 Likes

Store Number One is not a Fugazi store…

5 Likes

Cool. Maybe they can do a colab with Nike’s old Major Threat campaign.

2 Likes

We need to educate people to never do this and why.

2 Likes

Well, that’s a lot of unnecessary wankery to just say, “it’s streetwear.” They’re trying to make themselves seem revolutionary while just doing the standard shit that’s an inherent part of the nature of streetwear. (It’s a consumerist phenomenon! It’s aware of itself! It deconstructs itself! It’s a charade, but it has social power! It’s both sincere and cynical! Yeah, yeah dudes - you just described… fashion. And not even with any new insight. So clever. I get it - you went to art school and read a text too.)

Yeah, I think they are, at least to some degree, deliberately trading on the (band) name while being aware that they picked someone least likely to want to get involved in any sort of fight about it.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Fugazi is Vietnam war slang:

F - Fucked
U - Up
G - Got
A - Ambushed
Z - Zipped
I - In

Fucked up. Got Ambushed. Zipped In.

“Zipped In” refers to getting zipped into a body bag.

7 Likes

Don’t worry, they don’t know either.

1 Like

It’s a contraction of Fugly And Lazy :registered:

1 Like

Perhaps.

5 Likes

Ahh, I thought there was another specific acronym meaning that I couldn’t remember. Too bad Google is fucking useless these days!

2 Likes

That’s how far I got into their market-drivel before I passed out and hit my head on my desk on the way down. Sadly, the head wound didn’t manage to erase this nonsense.

4 Likes