New old school working class English hip hop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/30/new-old-school-working-class-english-hip-hop.html

3 Likes

Classic boom-bap beat. Excellence.

1 Like

Contributed by Natalie Dressed!

3 Likes

I don’t have a ton of exposure to UK hip hop - but I have some and there are some absolute bangers out there.

A lot of what I like has some great production by UK electronica and mix DJs.

This I found on a compilation somewhere and its freaking amazing.

This one took a minute to find on youtube. Listed as Baretta 1 feat. Eskimo on the Tekk-Banger’s ball compilation CD, it’s under Pete Namlook & DJ Criss by the same name.

And this one only partly counts because it is a US rapper (Jakk Frost), but production by Rob Overseer.

Anyway - this is all ancient history. I am sure there are more I have in my CD collection but this is off the top of my head. This song in the post is quite good, I like the flow and production, as well as the nod to the Wayans Brothers movie.

4 Likes

I’m trying to work out what that purple car is. Is it a hot-rodded Hillman Hunter? If so, that’s amazing.

1 Like

Very excited to see Blackburn where I was born and raised finally getting a mention here!

2 Likes

I’ve got Silver Bullet on cassette.

2 Likes

NIce! I’ve been meaning to track down the whole CD someday, but it’s fairly uncommon in the US.

Have some Roots Manuva as well: