New podcast explores the rise and fall of Seattle's "real-life superhero," Phoenix Jones

Originally published at: New podcast explores the rise and fall of Seattle's "real-life superhero," Phoenix Jones | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It feels familiar:

3 Likes

The excellent Jon Ronson wrote an article about Jones a few years ago. The story about Ronson going with Jones’s crew one night where they have a stand off with some drug dealers is so vivid in my memory I thought I’d seen it on TV.

(Said article is in Lost at Sea and The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones)

2 Likes

Is That Bad Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

5 Likes

He once decided that the best way to respond to a group of people arguing in the street was to insert himself into the altercation and start pepper-spraying people. So maybe he should have just been a cop after all—at least that way he’d be getting a paycheck to brutalize people.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/11/seattle-superhero-phoenix-jones-arrested

5 Likes

There’s a daycare in my neighborhood that has a mural on their fence that includes a portrait of Phoenix Jones. I walked by it over the weekend and wondered what happened to that guy—thanks for posting this!

2 Likes

Lovely. I can’t say that I’m a fan of either side.

2 Likes

Chris from Comic Tropes has a casual telling of his time with Phoenix Jones and his short stint as one of the real life superheroes. It is a pretty good listen, IMO. It has some history, but is more of an informal recounting of his time there and the history of Jones.

2 Likes

Jones eventually inspired a whole real life superhero movement

Do you want to get Rorschachs?

Because THAT’S how you get Rorschachs.

rorschach

4 Likes

I was just coming to post about that, with my limited ability to recall information I still think I remember the most heroic thing he and his associates would do would be to hand out sandwiches to people who needed them on the street

1 Like

There will be no real life superheroes until someone develops a bulletproof, knife proof, see through for the eyes and mouth material that is easy to tailor into a cosume or uniform. No amount of fighting skills can protect you from a bullet. And don’t forget the feet. A bullet through your foot pretty much takes you out of the fight.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.