Podcast: Alex Jones's weird, pre-Infowars history

Originally published at: Podcast: Alex Jones's weird, pre-Infowars history | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Robert Evans also did a pretty good overview on Behind the Bastards, 3 episode arc. Also there’s the Knowledge Fight podcast.

6 Likes

Don’t forget his cameo in A Scanner Darkly. 60% chance he didn’t know he was in a movie and thought it was all real.

10 Likes

vengefully seeks to destroy all that is pure, all that is beautiful,

POE Purity Of Essence - Dr Strangelove

7 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

13 Likes

no-i-dont-think-i-will

6 Likes

I think the most frightening information in this episode is the claim by his ex-wife that yes, he’s playing a character, but the character is toned down from how wild and unhinged he actually is.

Also glad that ALAB is back after almost a year. Not especially surprised that it’s because they got sued, although I am surprised at who the litigant was.

2 Likes

Hard to believe there was a time when he was considered to be a harmless enough local crank to be featured in a Richard Linklater film.

7 Likes

I haven’t seen it in years, but he seemed much more agreeable back then. Maybe it’s just because I was an edgy teenager.

4 Likes

Linklater had featured Jones in a previous film, Waking Life. an Austinite, Linklater knew of Jones and his reknown as a local kook, which is why he is in this totally fantastic dreamlike picture.
Scanner Darkly came after, so chances are good that Jones very well knew he was in a(nother) movie. hell, it’s been so long since i watched Slacker that Jones could very well appear in that old piece of Austin (my actual birthplace and hometown).
but, since you asked, here is the clip from Waking Life. do look up the entire movie - it is really trippy

ETA: a fizzy drink goes to @gracchus !
i knew i wasn’t the only one to remember this. i really need to read on down the thread before jumping in…

3 Likes

I’ve heard of this, but haven’t found/taken the time to watch Waking Life.

1 Like

There’s an anecdote near the end of Jon Ronson’s book Them: Adventures with Extremists where Ronson and Jones sneak into the secretive Bohemian Grove to have a look around at what the supposed rulers of the world were doing during their annual gathering.

Ronson’s take was “Oh, a bunch of privileged rich dudes are having fun and getting hammered at the world’s most exclusive summer camp. Why yes, don’t mind if I do have another martini, thank you my good sir!” Meanwhile Jones, watching the same events, chose to interpret the campy rituals and hijinks as some sinister prelude to child sacrifice or something.

As Ronson now notes it’s been a number of years since Jones seemed like a harmless kook.

6 Likes

That podcast was mostly a mix of Knowledge Fight, This American Life and The Secret Rulers of the World.

https://knowledgefight.com/

If you a really good laugh watch that and then the Alex Jones version of the same thing called Dark Secrets: Inside Bohemian Grove.

2 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.