New trend in US: naming your baby after a weapon or act of violence

I suspect the rising popularity of “Archer” might not be related to a love of weapons.

What are the stats on “Sterling”?

5 Likes

What would Moon Unit say about all this?

6 Likes

Probably about the same thing as Dweezel.

4 Likes

Evidence from the film First Blood suggests both:

You don’t seem to want to accept the fact you’re dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who’s the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who’s been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best.

4 Likes

Shhh, they’ve got a good confirmation bias going, don’t mess with it!

1 Like

Well, I’ll be a son of a gun.

9 Likes

Seems like a lot of people read BB just to point out that the editors are hypocrites?

“How DARE you point to an article by a completely different publication while offering no particular judgment or opinions yourselves providing circumstantial evidence that more people are interested in naming their children after weapons when you have an article about the history of melee weapons on your website?!”

1 Like

Meet my 3 week old daughter, BFG9000.

19 Likes

“Seems like a lot of people read BB just to point out that the editors are hypocrites?”

You must be new around here. Welcome to the internet.

4 Likes

“Pistol” also has a long, if not exactly illustrious history in English (“My name is Pistol call’d!”)

I grew up with someone named Kimber Lee. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t after a gun manufacturer. As an aside, she was two days older than her uncle, whose name was Urban.

@funruly how are little Jake Speed and Remo Williams?

3 Likes

Still unarmed and dangerous?

Perhaps this time he was blessed with Korean birth?

The girls now have a little brother, Emilio Lizardo! We think he will go on to great things in science!

3 Likes

Just call him Little Boy.

14 Likes

I have to apologize that I can grant only one like! :smiley:

…also, it’s likely he’ll grow into a fat man.

9 Likes

Seems like this could be checked using this:

3 Likes

History is made at night! Character is what you are in the dark!

4 Likes

So with all the ridiculous “zero tolerance” policy related to weapons, drugs and violence or any mention of, reference or allusion to anything vaguely related to same, will these children be generally refused admittance to schools or will they be allowed in and then just be perpetually suspended?

5 Likes