New trend in US: naming your baby after a weapon or act of violence

“Arson” might be a really groan-worthy pun on “our son”, but then again, maybe some parents just like to see the world burn.

2 Likes

A crossbow shoots a bolt, not an arrow. So maybe the other arrow was merely directional and included by mistake.

3 Likes

This is my son Republican…We just call him Fun D.

(There are worse things then weapons. ;-))

2 Likes

Danger, Arrow, Rebel, Pistol, Arson, Gunner, Cannon, Trigger, Shooter, Caliber, Magnum, Pistol, Mace, Blade, Saw, Dagger, Archer, Arrow, Chaos, Rambo, Barrett, Remington, Kimber, Ruger, Wesson, Browning, Benelli and Beretta

And that’s just in Sarah Palin’s family.

8 Likes

Very good point. I am corrected! :smiley:

I named my dog Arrow.

2 Likes

Because they invented the first flint lock. It was made from a whale rib and the shark teeth were fired with powdered herring swim bladders.

1 Like

Buttplug Footthrust

2 Likes

So I was really boring when I named my daughter Jordan.

The other arrow is on the kid’s shirt that says “I’m With Stupid”, and the arrow is pointing at his parents.

1 Like

Wouldn’t all kids want to wear that?

1 Like

Gunner fans should go meta and call their kids Osama.

Even copyright lawyers?

1 Like

Still one of my favourite XKCDs.

Yes. It is only politicians and PR people that can blow out infinite amounts of hot air without an infinite heat source.

1 Like

Possibly a misspelling of Orson (or Arsène, as @matthjones says).

That was my first thought, too.

I don’t know…“Manslaughter _________” has a good ring to it. (It’s gotta be one syllable last name, though.)

1 Like

At one time some Protestants had a tendency to name children after Bible verses, especially the Commandments, so you would get unfortunates saddled with names like “Thou shalt not kill Smith” or even “Thou shalt not commit adultery Jones”. This of course led to them being referred to as “Murder Smith” and “Adultery Jones”.
One can easily see why the Catholic Church only allowed names to be chosen from an approved list.

1 Like

I would be quite unsurprised. Here in Somerset UK illiteracy has led to children being named Arron (=Aaron), and Jenson Button1 is so named because his father was an admirer of Jensen cars, but not sufficiently so to notice how they were spelled.

1I know someone who was at school with Button. Some years ago I happened to be on the phone to her (she was living in the US at the time) and asked if she remembered him. She thought a bit and said “Jenson? The crazy one who thought he’d be a racing driver? Why, what’s he done?”
I said “He’s just won the F1 world championship.” Long silence. I mention this only because US readers may not know the name.

3 Likes