New York-bound flight diverted after woman discharges pepper spray, causing chaos and breathing difficulties

Originally published at: New York-bound flight diverted after woman discharges pepper spray, causing chaos and breathing difficulties | Boing Boing

2 Likes

And why can you bring pepper spray on a plane?

25 Likes

How did they ever get the pepper spray past airport security?
Perhaps /s is necessary?

13 Likes

Humanity is not ready for the future. Humanity isn’t even prepared for the 20th c. We all shoulda just stayed in the trees.

3 Likes

You’re not allowed to. You can pack it in checked luggage.

Edit:

“If caught with pepper spray in your carry-on or personal belongings at a security checkpoint, it will be confiscated and you may face civil penalties up to $13,333 per violation.”

17 Likes

Excuse No.12: “I was going to use it to season my meal. You know how airline food can be.”

9 Likes

There is no airline food anymore. Cross country? No meal!

Tip: Always order the tomato juice. There’s a reason for the tradition.

8 Likes

We ate on our LA to NY flight last year. Maybe because it was 1st class???

5 Likes

Other folks can buy a small meal - if they’re available. Sometimes no - sometimes they run out before they get to you.

6 Likes

Regan gets into that a little later… but the whole thing is worth a watch:

5 Likes

Some say we can still go back.

5 Likes

the family who’d deployed the spray had been aiming for a different family across the aisle.

Who are these people – the Hatfields and McCoys??

6 Likes

the family who’d deployed the spray had been aiming for a different family across the aisle.

If there’s any truth to this, then it’s a reminder that it isn’t only the threat of hijack that leads the authorities to ban guns on planes. Because someone who thinks it’s rational to pepper-spray somebody sitting three feet away from them in a sealed steel tube would absolutely open fire on them if they’d been permitted to bring their gun on board. Americans would be shooting each other all the time if firearms were allowed on planes.

I picture the poor teenage boy being absolutely mortified: “Mom. Mooooomm!! I can’t believe you just pepper-sprayed that woman. You’re such an embarrassment, mom.”

10 Likes

Will the TSA agent who failed to stop this banned item get disciplined in any way? During the one test the failure rate for identifying banned items was 67 out of 70 potential weapons.
TSA's Fake Security Fails to Detect Threats 95% of the Time - Foundation for Economic Education.

4 Likes

Being an airline pilot must be the safest job there is - lock that door and literally all the problems are behind you. A flight attendant is a whole other story though.

3 Likes

Maybe bear attacks in economy are a thing over Florida.

1 Like

Flew from Phoenix to Hawaii earlier this year. Not only did they not serve a meal on the way there, they didn’t have any available for purchase. Couldn’t believe it.

Packed a lunch for the flight home and of course they served food the second we boarded. I don’t think they even know what they’re doing.

3 Likes

The TSA had one job.

3 Likes

Because the TSA is security theater and a pork barrel project.

4 Likes

They get away with that because it counts as a domestic flight, no matter how many hours you are spending in the air, since Hawaii is a state.

2 Likes