New York City renamed as "Jewtropolis" in Snapchat maps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/30/new-york-city-renamed-as-jew.html

6 Likes

Ignorance finds its way into everything, eventually.

14 Likes

The headline provides context for how big the problem is, the first sentence of the article correctly identifies the origin of the problem. A lot more people have heard of Snapchat than Mapbox.

10 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks.

3 Likes

I don’t know if Jews should be dismayed to be linked to such a wretched hive of scum and villainy, or proud of being associated with such a vibrant center of art and culture.

2 Likes

Anyone else think Jewtropolis is a cool name? As a slur it seems to fail. If I were Jewish I might lead the charge to reclaim that one, somehow…

In any case, it has a better ring than Jesse Jackson’s attempt to rename New York.

5 Likes

These morons weren’t even clever enough to re-name it “Jew York City.” Oh, how standards have fallen for entitled losers in this country!

26 Likes

tumblr_p16urk2qpZ1vaqoiqo1_400

21 Likes
10 Likes

What assholes.

22 Likes

These morons weren’t even clever enough…

I agree, but I probably would have complained that they were unoriginal if they went with JYC. I guess I am not very fair and balanced when it comes to anti-semitic vandals.

6 Likes

Gotta give them props for an unintentional reference to the fathers of Superman, Seigel and Shuster.

6 Likes

Surprise, motherf*ckers!

Also, unintentional props to Stetson Kennedy:

16 Likes

If you’re going to vandalize, you might as well make it “deeply offensive”. Isn’t that kind of the point to juvenile pranks?

I know! Also acceptable: “New Jewsy”, “The Big Bagel” and my personal favorite, “Lesser Long Island”.

2 Likes

The OpenStreetMap Foundation has commented on this disgusting racism:

https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/08/30/osm-condemns-vandalism/

2 Likes

Of course the vandals will keep this up and turn OSM into another Wikipedia where eventually only edits from a small number of trusted moderators are allowed and everything else is reverted automatically and maybe only put back once a moderator takes a second look at it.

3 Likes

As a Jew I feel like I need to be there now LOL

I would totally move to Jewtropolis.

3 Likes

I like to think it’s like this all year 'round:

6 Likes