New York City woman finds hidden empty apartment behind her medicine cabinet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/04/new-york-city-woman-finds-hidden-empty-apartment-behind-her-medicine-cabinet.html

7 Likes

A sawsall and a hammer and you have a larger apartment, and of course your rent goes up too…

27 Likes

being john malkovich GIF by Arrow Academy

39 Likes

Curious if it’s a one-way mirror. My guess is that it’s just an apartment undergoing renovations.

15 Likes

right guard

Approves.

23 Likes

Considering the fresh drywall, exposed wiring and torn-up floors, yes, my guess as well.

13 Likes

Wow… more than one unit in an apartment building. Who knew?!

They do need to close up that hole and insulate the wall though.

16 Likes

That was interesting; and I like our intrepid explorer’s head-lamp and claw-hammer ensemble.

13 Likes

While they’re at it, they could also install a medicine cabinet. The reason she was able to go exploring was because a mirror was mounted over the hole where a medicine cabinet would normally be found.

15 Likes

I saw part two yesterday, where she goes through the hole, and then no part three dropped… I was on the edge of my seat, there. Jesus, I wasn’t expecting she would just go through the hole into a whole apartment. That’s not how it’s supposed to work, it’s supposed to just be an interstitial space between apartments for plumber access (that also allows people to move between apartments):

5 Likes

This really needs to be a Broad City episode

6 Likes

Looks like some crazy subdividing there. She needs to ask the landlord to ensure some insulation is put on the other side of that wall - not just for air, but for sound, too.

(Off-topic. Using Brave Browser why do I always have to put Shields down to get Tik-Tok video embeds to work on BoingBoing? Can’t something be done about this? @orenwolf - as much an FYI as a genuine request for a fix.)

6 Likes

By the end of the second video, I started to think this might be a put-on.

2 Likes

Part three and four are available.

2 Likes

No. Sorry. Your fight is with TikTok.

13 Likes

I love shit like this.

Kind of bummed that it wasn’t a room she could take advantage us.

Reminds me of an old SF story, set in a super-overpopulated London. A guy has an “apartment” that is a part of a stair landing. Just a place for his bed and a dresser. One day he explores a loose board and finds . . . a sitting room, with windows and a chair. An unimaginably vast private space, by his standards.

Also reminds me of the time I opened a little hatch underneath the sink of a Holiday Inn. Tulsa OK, I think. It turned out to be access to a “wet wall,” a 3’ wide space that ran behind the rooms. I was at a corner, so the space went forward and to my right. Also up and down! No floor.

There were other hatches, to other rooms.

Also. ALSO . . . perched on the “sill” of my hatchway were two unopened bottles of cheap red wine.

22 Likes

Ah ya! apartments in buildings share walls! why is anybody surprised by this? obviously, the vacant apartment is not being heated you just need to tell your landlord to close up the hole that the lazy carpenter failed to do

3 Likes

If there’s a lamp post and a woman offering you Turkish Delight, get out of there!

30 Likes

Is someone visiting the neighboring apartment and stealing the copper plumbing? It is incredibly unsafe that there is an access point between apartments.

This is crazy considering real estate values in NYC. Just sitting there, unused.

7 Likes

What if there’s a locked safe?

11 Likes