New York City woman finds hidden empty apartment behind her medicine cabinet

Haha. That reminds me of the episode of Futurama where Fry and Bender become roommates and Fry ends up moving into “the closet”. :joy:

10 Likes

7 Likes
5 Likes

The problem isn’t the shared wall - it’s that it’s a hole in her wall that opens up onto another unit. For anyone, but especially for women living alone, that’s very troubling.

22 Likes

You can leave if you want, but I’m going to find the Jesus lion.

11 Likes

Word; that’s a huge security risk, and potential liability for the owners of the property.

15 Likes

Yes, apartment share walls, but they’re not supposed to share other space.

Take, for instance, my last apartment - actually a townhouse, and that’s important. The attic and basement spaces were constructed as a single space, with a dividing wall set up in the basement and no dividers up in the attic. I discovered the basement wall was mostly decorative when I found the neighbor’s cat throwing his toys into our basement, and I found the attic was a common space when the wind blew the access door off and I stuck my head in and saw down the entire length of the building.

13 Likes

Since we are making Narnia references, it’s worth pointing out that the whole thing started when the Magician’s nephew crawled along the connected attic spaces in their row houses and made a discovery. I’d like to say more but I read it in 1979 so the details are foggy.

Unseparated attics and crawlspace would never pass fire code now.

11 Likes

It makes me think of the final scene of Phantasm.

2 Likes

Understood. I kind of expected that would be the case, but naively hoped it might be somehow to do with how they were embedded here. C’est la vie. Thanks.

2 Likes

GIF by Tras la Cámara

6 Likes

Given the other stuff my landlords pulled I’m not entirely sure it should’ve passed then, either.

5 Likes

I was hoping that the space didn’t have any other way into it and she could have just used it as an annex of her apartment. But it’s just another apartment, with its own access.

I was hoping for a scenario like the Danny DeVito shrine.

5 Likes

I loved the guy’s reference to the movie Parasite.

3 Likes

Now you know where old razer blades go.

8 Likes
4 Likes

You don´t have to tell the landlord…

4 Likes

The basements of the units in my townhome complex were built with concrete walls between units, but then the joists, which are parallel to the demising walls, were spaced without regard to whether they were over those walls or not. Which meant all I had between my house and my neighbor’s was half the width of a single 2x10 joist that wasn’t sealed to the wall in any way. All sorts of sounds and cooking smells came through before I sealed it up. I don’t know how that passed fire code, but it was built in the 70’s, so who knows?

7 Likes

Same for us; that’s how the cat toys kept ending up in our unit.

4 Likes

If I’ve learned anything from fiction she should have crossed over into an apartment that was just like hers but backwards with subtle differences…

Or maybe found a set of parents with buttons for eyes…

16 Likes