New York Times editorial: Trump is mentally ill

Except that analysts who have actually taken the time to evaluate that kind of thing have found she is not.

23 Likes

As opposed to Carson Carter, who did the nutty stuff before public service.

EDIT: Stupid brain.

4 Likes

It’s less than 50% (although it is more than what Trump has), and it isn’t “adore her”, it’s “tolerate her in the absence of a better option”.

9 Likes

If David had referenced Robin William’s illness well, then…

Didn’t he?

He’s almost literally saying, “Robin Williams, who was known to have manic episodes as part of his own mental illness, spoke like this too, but with jokes instead of insults.”

3 Likes

Trump invents stories about seeing Muslims celebrating in NJ on 9/11, tells us he watched a videotape made by the Iranian government showing $400million coming off a plane when no such videotape can be found, tells us he has a good relationship with Putin then admits he’s never met the man, etc etc (the list is so long, where do I stop?) Is this evidence he is a pathological liar?

Does it matter to you that he lies with such bravado, making things up whole-cloth whenever he feels like it? I will admit that Hillary is hardly 100% honest, but she inspires a lot more confidence than a guy who clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing while insisting he is the best man for the job.

22 Likes

It’s inappropriate to diagnose people with mental illnesses from a distance. Lord knows that happens often enough to trans women in the public eye. I believe several times rather insultingly to a boing boing contributor.

So, I’ll just stick with grifter asshole for now. All bets off if he gets brought into pre-screening.

13 Likes

Brooks is he sort of “very serious person” best ignored regardless of the topic.

4 Likes

On the plus side, she’s apparently alot smarter than he is (although his sons are apparently as dumb or dumber, as hard as that is to believe); by all reports, she’s the one who came up with the idea of licensing the Trump name out.

That being said… there are worlds of difference between the fashion industry and a Cabinet level position that make her unsuitable for it. The basic knowledge base needed for the job, for example; I don’t care how smart she is–nobody but nobody is going to be able to bring themselves fully up to speed from a standing start on, say, geopolitical matters or Treasury policy in five months.

But, yeah, I’m not surprised; Trump is essentially a throwback to the 19th century governance in many ways–is it really a surprise that he wants to re-institute the spoils system of officeholding?

4 Likes

Curiosity got the best of me so I clicked the main article link and, well…

19 Likes

I would rather trust someone who speaks his mind and will learn not to than
trust a pathological liar and someone that is already complicit in the
deaths of many people.

I doubt it will cause me any lasting harm, but I might start using beschizza as an epithet when startled.

6 Likes

What bugs me more than the arms-length diagnosis is:

It’s this kind of comment that drives mental illness into the shadows.

If Trump’s problem isn’t mental illness, but just a chronic rectal personality, then sure, I can understand the desire to insult him. But if it is mental illness then this man needs professional psychiatric help, not insults. And by seeing “He’s mentally ill? Damn right, he is, so let’s insult him based on his mental illness!” you’re just perpetuating the stigma against mental illness and continuing to drive the people who need help further away from it.

Most of the time, I am proud to be a member of this community. When threads like this come along and I see these kinds of comments posted, not so much.

16 Likes

Glad to see that so many Boingers here recognize the biggest problem with Brooks’ column and it’s not the comparison to Robin Williams. You sensible people are why I keep coming back to BB.

11 Likes

Nonsense logic notwithstanding, a terrifying thought just occurred to me last night.

So far we’ve all been operating under the assumption that Trump says all these ridiculous and hateful and incindiary things because he lacks any kind of filter.

But what if he DOES have a filter and we’ve only been hearing the stuff that was deemed appropriate enough to get past it??

35 Likes

So, you’d rather have someone who believes horrible things, because, in time, he’ll learn to not say the horrible things he believes?

Let’s check Politifact. Which one are you calling a pathological liar, again?
Hillary Clinton:

or Donald Trump:

You’re going to have to be more specific. To whose deaths are you referring?

26 Likes

That all depends on what he says & what he learns, doesn’t it? Not that he’s shown either aptitude or interest in learning the business of Presidenting. Nukes? Why can’t I use them?

Also - welcome - I see you just joined to comment here.

19 Likes

Oh, we’re going to call it a disorder are we?

Hrmph.

[sulks]

11 Likes

Hrm. That’s an amazing digression… but he returns to the main point. Which surprised me.

Still, not somebody with much of a filter.

Or worse – he’s got an amazing filter, and this is the limited output that gets past it…

13 Likes

They also speak to a person having loose associations; which sounds like lovely vacation.

Long time since I was a social worker. Or had that nice a vacation!

3 Likes