New York Times editorial: Trump is mentally ill

Nailed it. It might even be prudent to consider a potential leader’s mental health. It becomes a problem when mental health issues are a reason or a means to insult someone. Compassion isn’t the root cause of stigma. It’s the suggestion that someone is a lesser human being because they have a mental illness.

7 Likes

That was John McCain’s answer to whether Trump was fit to have control of nuclear weapons.

Basically, the commander in chief has to be fit to wield nuclear weapons, so if you’re elected President, by definition, you must be.

QUESTION: Are you comfortable with Donald Trump possibly having control of the nuclear arsenal?

McCAIN: [Silence, followed by unintelligible stammering.] Anyone that the people of this country choose to be the commander in chief and the President of the United States — therefore can lead this country, and will lead in a responsible fashion. Anyone who is elected president fairly in this country. And that’s the way that our democratic system works. That’s how our government works. The American people select the next president of the United States, knowing full well what the role of the commander in chief is. Therefore, I have the utmost respect for the verdict of the people.

8 Likes

Every voter is qualified (and I’d say morally obligated) to assess whether or not Trump is fit for office. Our impressions of his mental health, however well-informed they may be, are completely relevant. If you’re running for office, your mental health is fair game. Besides, either the diagnosis fits or it doesn’t. It’s fair to question the credibility of the source, but the argument has to be considered on its own merits. In this case, we seem to have ample evidence that there’s something not quite right about this Trump character. You don’t need a professional diagnosis to justify breaking up with an unhinged, abusive romantic partner, and you don’t need one to reject a presidential candidate either.

2 Likes

No, she’s not. And if you can’t see the difference between the two candidates, you’re being intellectually lazy or willfully ignorant.

And to double up on @Brainspore’s link:

This may shock you: Hillary Clinton is fundamentally honest (The Guardian)

19 Likes

[Insert “What? No. No. etc.” GIF]

3 Likes

And @beschizza insulted vaporwave!

2 Likes

Repeated for great truth.

2 Likes

I think someone just flunked the Turing test.

1 Like

“The Gambia” and “The Bahamas” are apparently still the preferred form, if Wikipedia / The Wikipedia is to be believed. The article in front does have the disadvantage of presenting an entity as a colonial territory rather than as a self-determining nation.

2 Likes

Yeah, no shit, Trump is… bad. He’s crazy? Ok, sure.

You want to convince people not to vote for him, right? What does repeating that he’s crazy accomplish? I want you to succeed in your goal, Rob, so I’m a bit mad about your best shot.

Figure out what his demographic is, and write something for a segment of it to peel them off. Tell them how he will make THEIR lives worse. Your job is to bring in readers, right?

You’re just preaching to the choir right now, and I hate when this site does that. It’s uninteresting, masturbatory and ultimately counterproductive.

You’re boring me with what I expect.

This was posted with the intent of getting a like from existing readers. I agree with most if not all of your editor’s viewpoints, and I’m still consistently annoyed with the matter-of-fact way they’re often presented. I can’t be alone. I don’t understand the thought behind operating a site that presents editorialized news and also doesn’t actually try to change anyone’s mind. Actually, within capitalism I understand it perfectly, but this “article” gets a downvote from me. Y’all have incredible stuff. Please raise the proportion, even if it means fewer updates like this.

How? Even the IBM Buzzword Sentence Generator makes more sense than that. The Turing test includes the possibility that the replies are too stupid to come from a computer.

3 Likes

Holy hootin’ heck. I thought I was bad when it came to getting washed away in the stream of consciousness.

1 Like

The article was pretty much always used in the US until Ukraine split off from the USSR, and I’m pretty sure that was true in the UK as well. I was living in England when Chernobyl happened, and I think I would have noticed then and remembered now if the “the” wasn’t used in the UK media at the time.

ETA: Here, I found an example in the Grauniad archives: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/1986/apr/29/energy.russia

I think a big part of the issue with governments is that most people filling cabinet positions have no background in their portfolio. Most seem to have degrees in Politics.

2 Likes

Or be PR persons, like Cameron and Owen Smith. At least lawyers had the argument that Parliament made laws. PR people who become politicians, the argument seems to be “Why should I lie to you just because I made a career of misrepresenting things for clients?”

2 Likes

I don’t think it has as much to do with with the Soviet Union as it does a Western (especially English, inherited by the Americans) inability to use any country’s own name for itself. Place names in English all seem to be the consequence of armies of half-deaf explorers and missionaries taking bad notes as they meandered around.

6 Likes

The Unspeakable,
He Who is Not to be Named,
Lord of Licensing,
The King in Orange,
Trump.

4 Likes

And literally, no other women.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Those excited about him are pretty long gone themselves, they’re not reachable through logic and fact.

4 Likes