New York wants you to protect your retinas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/new-york-wants-you-to-protect-your-retinas.html

3 Likes

You’re not the boss of me!

My Eyes Pain GIF

6 Likes

New York also has different advice for one particular ex-resident: stare away!

3 Likes

gus sorola money GIF by Rooster Teeth

4 Likes

For those still planning, here are some things to consider.

1. Many of the coolest effects (e.g. “Bailey’s Beads”, seeing the Sun in between the mountains on the Moon) come not because the Moon is in front of the Sun but because the two are very nearly tangent. If you watch from the centerline, you get the longest totality, but very fleeting moments of tangency (at the beginning and end).
  2. The South Pole on the Moon is more mountainous than the North. Because of #1 and #2, I will be viewing from near the Southern edge of the path.
  3. For the hour before and after, during the partial eclipse, anything that gives you dappled sun – a tree, a straw hat, a colander – will give you an array of crescents. It’s way cooler than it sounds, and doesn’t require looking at the Sun.

15 Likes

Foil shadow thingy in the shape the kid wanted

5 Likes

Yes, but it’s not a given that the sky will be clear enough for them to see it, though.
Nothing has been decided yet, but right now, Dallas and Cleveland are head to head with their bids, and I think Little Rock is up to something.

2 Likes

… obviously in “total darkness” we can safely look at a total eclipse without glasses

In most situations looking at a partial eclipse without eye protection is a mistake :new_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Cleveland has a high probability of clouds that time of year, but the city is going to be particularly festive. The Guardians home opener is the same day, the Cleveland International Film Festival runs through that week, and the NCAA Women’s Final 4 is the weekend leading into the eclipse. Somehow Cleveland City Hall didn’t decide to close for the day until yesterday, despite being next to the site of our big eclipse festival, which is closing all major roads in the area.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.