New Yorkers warned to stay indoors as Manhattan's air quality rates among world's worst

Originally published at: New Yorkers warned to stay indoors as Manhattan's air quality rates among world's worst | Boing Boing

3 Likes

not a joke. i live in NYC (Queens) and with a view of the skyline. this is the view as of 10 minutes ago. and the photo doesn’t even capture the particular shade of orange. and the smell is intense. stay inside.
IMG_5602

20 Likes

For those who want to see the full scale of this mess, here’s the map:
https://fire.airnow.gov/

13 Likes

The entire state is having this problem, here in WNY it doesn’t look quite like those images, but there’s a distinct haze and smoke smell.

From what a friend in the Philadelphia is telling me, they’re also suffering from the smoke.

16 Likes

It’s hazy here in south-ish Jersey as well, although apparently there was a wildfire in Jackson yesterday, so that’s probably part of it. I smelled smoke yesterday evening, and I doubt that was from Canada. Jackson is about 15 miles north of me. Today it’s still hazy, but I don’t smell smoke.

ETA: I live on the edge of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. We have not had a lot of precipitation in the last few months. We had almost no snow this past winter. It is very dry here, and the Barrens are full of all kinds of dead and dry vegetation. We have had several wild fires in the last few weeks. I’m starting to get worried that I’m living in a powder keg.

12 Likes

4 Likes

Was smoky this morning in MD between Baltimore and DC. Not as bad as NYC, but a greige sky and smoky smell for sure.

9 Likes

Friend upstate sent me this:

12 Likes

NY, welcome to OR and its wildfire season.

10 Likes

Ugh, so sorry this is becoming an issue across the country. It’s gotten bad in PNW the last 5ish years. It usually starts late summer in Seattle, but we had a taste already a few weeks ago. I rarely get headaches normally so they often are my first warning that air quality is poor. Last year I started getting hives due to the smoke–not looking forward to the coming fire season here. N95s and room air filters help, but you still feel rotten until the fires go.

10 Likes

A friend in NYC (Upper West Side) just sent a photo of the PM monitor from inside her apartment with carefully sealed windows: 256!

11 Likes

Directly Upstate from the city about 2 hrs (Kingston area). We’ve had light haze and an orange tint ranging from a weird red shift to full-on Total Recall Mars orange. It rained overnight which helped clear the air briefly, but it was hazy driving the kids to school this morning.

10 Likes

The forecast graphic for today, tonight and tomorrow:

It cleared up a lot from this morning, but my sinuses and headache are telling me that it’s not gone.

10 Likes

I can confirm as well. When I was out earlier it was irritating my eyes. It’s a truly impressive outcome Chinese/(((globalist))) hoax conservatives are always warning us not to fall for.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna say the West Coast feels for the East Coast. I only remember one really bad wildfire week like this in metropolitan Southern California since 1991. Most of the time it’s just hazy gray color.

Stay indoors, East Coast!

5 Likes

This is Long Island today, I’ve never experienced anything like this in my entire life.

11 Likes

itchy eyes, scratchy throat and headaches are all the rage in NYC this time of year… but its usually from pollen. at least pollen doesn’t smell like smoke. IT SUCKS

6 Likes
10 Likes

I expect to read somewhere how Soros is behind this in the next few days

4 Likes

In Reno, we call that kind of air quality “Summer” (or “Fire Season”) these days. get air filters, people. they will help immensely when the headaches start and you can’t sleep at night.

7 Likes