New York's 'system for managing our dead' overwhelmed, says NYC councilman

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/06/new-yorks-system-for-manag.html

Morgue space overload.

5 Likes

system for managing our dead’ overwhelmed

tumblr_8095d8833abf8492f6ca89643257264e_c3270dc2_500

23 Likes

Coming up next: the Trump Organization offering NYC to rent floor space for temporary morgues.
At special rates.

10 Likes

“Gold”, branded body bags incoming.

5 Likes

Which will turn out to be spray-painted bin bags, or taped together from those foil-thingies you find in first-aid kits.

5 Likes

The Donald Trump Golf Course & Memorial Cemetery

5 Likes

You missed the 9th tweet in the thread. Can’t mention the possible temporary internment plan in the article without the corresponding tweet.

5 Likes
11 Likes

A friend of mine in NYC suggested that the dead could all be buried in Donald J Trump State Park - which (in typical fashion) he bought for $2M, claimed it was worth $100M, donated to the state and took that amount as a tax write-off, and which has been closed for ten years due to asbestos contamination.

I think it would be a perfect place to inter all the dead - it is not too far north of the city

15 Likes

“Your loved ones will all be put in a ditch, but with dignity, not a backhoe.”

10 Likes

And after a couple of years they’ll dig them out again.

3 Likes

Could be worse, they could be approaching this without a plan. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

11 Likes

Proposal: Turn all Trump properties into cemeteries, just like they turned Robert E. Lee’s estate into Arlington National Cemetery.

13 Likes

It’s always good to have a plan.

You’d think there were contingency plans from the cold war era; they used to have a plan for every “unthinkable” scenario a sick mind could come up with.

5 Likes

Ah, but you or I wouldn’t be thinking of the possible tax breaks.

6 Likes

Probably not every person that will pass away will wish it but i think it’d be better to cremate the dead than bury them when possible.

8 Likes

True.

1 Like

Burn the evidence, you say? :thinking:

I suspect some politicians may be thinking that already…

4 Likes

If the existing system to deal with dead bodies is overloaded like this, so are the crematoriums (crematoria?).
They are at a point where they will be considering using ice rinks or a refrigerated cargo ship to store the bodies until they can be taken care of.

8 Likes

Okay, maybe this is a bit callous but I really don’t care what happens to my body after my organs stop keeping my muscles moving and the electricity running upstairs. Burn me if you want, or better yet donate my organs or body to science. My loved ones can grieve without overpriced mortuary theater.

4 Likes