NH GOP lawmakers mocked gun violence survivors by wearing clutchable pearl necklaces to gun control hearing

It’s harder to take a car off the designated areas (i.e., off-roading) and kill someone with it. Difficult to get a car into a movie theater or school unless you crash it through a wall. Harder to hide as well, unless you drive around with camo netting over your vehicle, which makes it damn obvious on the highway.

10 Likes

For their breed, they are truly asshats of the first order, but I can’t help thinking deep down they just wanted to feel pretty. Especially Rep Wallace. “Alright, Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up.”

5 Likes

This works great for my new cheesecake calendar: “Drag Queens of the NH Legislature”.

13 Likes

My point is/was that guns are already more regulated than cars ever will be. I didn’t bring up the car/gun angle, I was just answering the meme. As far as caring about undocumented immigrants, you’d be suprrised what I care about. Like, I’m all for abortions, against Trump, and his wall, against the wars in the middle east, etc… I’m also for our 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th (and the others also) amendment rights guaranteed by the bill of rights. I think the pearl necklace thing is stupid, but the whole pearl clutching thing was quite popular with liberals a few years back, now it seems to have moved from one side of the aisle to the other.

1 Like

Actually, every time that the GOP takes power in the NH legislature, they change to rules to allow guns in the state house, and every time the Dems take power, they revoke the rule. https://www.concordmonitor.com/Group-of-New-Hampshire-lawmakers-vow-to-resist-House-gun-ban-22616660

The quoted rep who says he’ll keep carrying despite the current ban is, unfortunately, mine.

5 Likes

Nonsense. At the federal level, everything from occupant safety to trunk releases is scrutinized by NTSB regulations. The “Quick Reference” alone is 36 pages, and that’s essentially an index. Federal firearms regulations from the ATF have far less depth.

Also consider that groups like the NRA are pushing to make guns more dangerous by reducing regulations while groups like AAA, IIHS, and others are pushing to make vehicles less dangerous by increasing regulations.

References to pearl clutching by so-called liberals was always more of a joke (along with monocle popping) to poke fun at the ruling classes. The example here is just entitled assholes punching down at their constituents.

26 Likes

Something tells me you’re not a member of the American Society of Automotive Engineers. :thinking:

17 Likes

Here’s what would happen if you tried to shoot someone with your car:

13 Likes

Do you have any idea how many people have been shot by people harassing or stalking them. Yes, I think it’s a fantastic idea that people who are acting in violent ways towards others CAN’T GET ACCESS TO A FUCKING GUN.

queen-elizabeth-this

27 Likes

Ultimately, cars are not designed to be weapons, which is 100% what guns are for (including target shooting, which is why you can buy very specialized targets in the shapes of animals or humans, even specific people . . . .)

There are reasons why cars and guns are regulated differently. It’s a silly line of reasoning for either side to use.

My first thought also. My second thought was “I wonder how many of them have concealed carry permits.” Probably some do, but it’s unlikely their guns would save them in a Gabby Giffords-type situation: you can’t spend your life with your guard constantly up, ready for some kind of high noon quick draw, nor do any of us have eyes in the back of our heads.

15 Likes

Very interesting read.

16 Likes

I agree with you. This is the problem I have with the simplistic “a good guy with a gun cancels out a bad guy with a gun.” The bad guy knows he’s getting into a gun fight that day and everybody else does not.

16 Likes

think-of-the-stalkers

19 Likes

9 Likes

The right to own a gun always trumps the right of individuals to not get shot… /s

21 Likes

Right; the average urban commuter may cross paths with thousands or even tens of thousands of other people actively using their cars on a daily basis. Most of those commuters will live out their entire lives without being seriously injured in an automobile accident.

The last time that many Americans gathered in one place to use their guns at the same time it was called “The Battle of Gettysburg.”

20 Likes
6 Likes

Unless the FBI fails to complete your background check within 3 days, in which case the system doesn’t fail safe. At that point, you’re allowed to buy the gun regardless.

14 Likes

Indeed. Wild Bill Hickok was almost certainly a better gunman than Jack McCall, but that’s not much help when the other guy doesn’t play fair.

8 Likes