Nick Ayers says NOPE: Trump pick to replace John Kelly will not be new WH chief of staff

Maybe the triplets are his reason? Something, something, 14 words, something…

1 Like

So maybe Ayers, who’s been following the Mueller investigation, decided that the best way to soon become WH chief of staff was to remain Mike Pence’s chief of staff.

3 Likes

The odds of Trump himself staying in the office for another two years are looking longer by the day.

2 Likes

I can’t find that one by Ayers, but it probably got lost in the noise.

I wouldn’t credit Ayers with any decency or good judgement on this career move.

6 Likes

Why would anyone in their right mind sign on as first mate of the sinking Trumptanic, with the “Captain” screaming “NO COLLISION!” while steering the ship TOWARDS the icebergs, and pouring on the steam?

4 Likes

He’s biding his time, waiting to become President Pence’s Chief of Staff.

2 Likes

Fun fact: “maga” means “stupid gullible foreigner” to Nigerian scammers. Pretty sure that predates this administration, though.

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure we know about it because it’s regularly covered. I certainly see it mentioned several times a day.

Do we really need 24hr TV news cycle giving us regularly “this just in, Trump watched episode of real house wives” style updates? There’s regular think pieces about Trump’s fixation on right wing bubble media and it’s impacts on his beliefs and actions, and the similarities there to older white voters who form the core of that audience. It’s regularly mentioned in analysis of Trump’s policies and actions. And brought up like hourly in TV talking head coverage.

So what “daily” coverage are we taking that would have any utility?

Thing is he’s not. He’s leaving the administration by the end of the year. Purportedly moving to Georgia, and going to work for a political money Operation with Nazi ties.

So he didn’t just turn down Trump’s offer. He’s leaving the administration entirely. Likely for a group that funds this insanity from the outside. He could just be chasing money. But he could be fucking running. A number of people from the administration leaving “by the end of the year”. Before the Dems take the house and as Mueller escalates.

I will be stealing this, thank you.

2 Likes

And they might have an idea of what Trump is planning (for lack of a better word) in response to that.

In any halfway normal administration, working at the White House is the dream job of a ton of eager and excited young people, as well as any number of experienced political wonks and wranglers and execs. It’s a huge thing to put on your CV, as well as a dream come true to a lot of people.

But this is Trump, so we’ve left normal far, far behind. Even if we ignore his deep and fundamental moral and personal awfulness, he’s an absolutely terrible person to work for. He doesn’t listen, he doesn’t learn, he doesn’t shut the fuck up. He’s too stupid to stay on track on his own, and too stubborn to be steered. He demands loyalty and shows none. And worst of all, right now working for him in any substantial position means the FBI and the rest of the alphabet soup may become intensely interested in you. Nobody wants that, even if they are actually innocent of any wrongdoing.

6 Likes

And if they had any impression that it would work or benefit them they’d stay.

The current off loading of staff seems a bit different than the previous ones. If only because there are so many reports that no one wants these positions. Trump had to reach back 4 administrations to find a supposedly non-controversial AG. And many of his rumored first picks for various jobs ATM are congressional Allies. He’s gotta loot, and out at risk GOP controlled offices to find people willing to work with him.

Drosophila MAGAgaster

5 Likes

So, there have been … several high profile, and lower profile departures from the white house over the last two years, and there are several infographics with folks crossed out.

My question is: how many folks are still left there from the crew who started working on 18 Jan 2017?

Just how’s that going to happen? He’s very possibly in for the next 6 years, if we’re in the worst timeline: After the Impeachment, the Senate will fail to convict in 2019. Then, he’ll easily beat Sanders or Warren in 2020. Surviving Trump is a long-term project.

I understand why you and everyone else thinks Trump is going to be there for the rest of his term; that’s clearly the most likely outcome, barring something really explosive coming out of the Russia investigation, or Trump keeling over dead from a stroke after one too many angry 4 am tweetstorms.

But I don’t understand why people keep assuming he will “easily beat” whoever the Democrats are running in 2020. In 2016, against Hillary Clinton with all her baggage, he lost the popular vote and eked out a narrow EC win, hinging on tiny majorities in a couple of critical states. Now, and in 2020, Trump is going to be even less popular than he is today, older and more tired and more senile, and the demographics will have moved further away from the angry old white people who are his core supporters. And he won’t have the great advantage that he had in 2016, of being an outsider onto whom people could project their hopes and wishes.

I’m not saying Trump can’t win in 2020. But I won’t agree with this pessimistic idea that it’s somehow a done deal.

8 Likes

I’m actually (non ironically) surprised he hasn’t floated Ivanka and/or Jared for Chief of Staff. They know how to deal with his quirks and he knows they’ll stick around.

3 Likes

Maybe he did but this time he heard the “No.” ?

3 Likes

I have several friends that worked for Pence, and they have slowly been turning outwardly on Trump. And as of last week, the fifth person I know from his camp has quietly moved to DC in the last two months. If I know this many people, who knows how many more. It feels like someone is staffing up with the intent to take over.

Probably yet another reason that Pence is probably not going to be the VP pick if / when Trump runs again. Even Trump knows he is a cockroach ready to take up the toupee the minute he can.

4 Likes

Also, have you been reading Steve Bell’s cartoons? He’s been doing the toilet-head thing for a while.
Here’s just one example of many.

1 Like