Nicki Minaj's brother has been charged with raping a 12 year old girl in Long Island

I always wondered what happened to those guys from Prodigy.

Well, I’m only two years younger than you, and far from a hiphop fan much of the time, but I know of Nicki Minaj thru general cultural osmosis; far from “this year’s thing”, she’s the most-charting and apparently most influential female rapper of all time.

That said, holy crap, am I excited by the new Bowie album. “Blackstar” knocked me out, and I also dig “Sue (or In a Season of Crime)”, one of the other songs from it. Apparently the album version is totally different from that one. Fascinated.

The only hip hop I pay attention to is either Bay Area stuff I hear about through word of mouth or the 90s stuff I like (along with some old Eminem).

I pay attention to some of the current post-punk, monosynth, and similar things ultimately coming out of the Goth/Industrial scene of the 90s.

1 Like

Thanks.

Never ventured deeply enough into the BBS to spot that one - do cross-language sayings qualify? Coz I think I just translated that straight from my native Swedish…

2 Likes

As noted below, Nicki Minaj is the most-charting, most-successful, and (according to the NYT) most-influential female rapper of all time. Not exactly a flash in the pan. Although given my 18-year-old nephew, I likely have more opportunities to get acquainted with current pop culture than some, I suppose.

1 Like

Certainly.

Rapper. That explains it. I consider rap (most of it, there are very few exceptions) to be almost as horrible music as brass bands. Given the effort it takes me to remember merely a subset of band/singer/musician names from the set I like, it’s unlikely I’ll remember this one for any significant time.

Music should have melody, not just rhytm.

Rap doesn’t really interest me, but I’m always confused by the number of people who will rush to smugly dismiss it every time it’s mentioned.

10 Likes

Maybe because it sounds to many like monotonous chanting noise. But I can tolerate it as long as I can avoid it, though I don’t understand what is popular on that style. Still, brass bands are a notch worse.

1 Like

You are dead to me.

9 Likes

It’s about to get worse than that…

BRRRRAAAAAAAAINS!

3 Likes

So this is how he brought it on himself. I see now.

6 Likes

Gentleman do not, I repeat do not, mock brass bands.

3 Likes

how about monotonous droning?

3 Likes

That may be a wise advice, given the brass bands origin in military research.

The intention of the program was to replicate the Trumpets of Jericho. They failed to produce an acoustic weapon capable of demolishing city walls. They however noticed the effect on the live forces.

So, cue brass bands.

And, like with tabun, the generals never dared to deploy the bands in an actual combat - due to fear of a reply in kind.

2 Likes

Sorta, nope, well yes, debatable,and now you’re just egging me on :imp:

2 Likes

Guilty as charged, Your Honor! :smiley:
:egg::egg::egg::egg::egg::egg::egg::egg:

3 Likes

You probably just need to hear better rap, I’d suspect. It’s like any other genre, it’s got winners and losers. That being said, it just might not be your taste.

5 Likes

Spoilers for Red State?

3 Likes