Nicki Minaj's brother has been charged with raping a 12 year old girl in Long Island

I may be showing my age.

7 Likes

It would, after all, be redundant.

2 Likes

I am not sure if that counts as an acoustic weapon. Psychological warfare with sound as a method it certainly is, though. :smiley:

…on a second thought, does this mean that the Rapture will be announced with something that sounds like a megafart?..

A very, very, flawed movie, but also very good. Goodman’s monologue there is perfect.

Always a classic. Outkast, too… Oh ye-er!

Hometown pride!

3 Likes

Part of the pitch to become part of the Gawker group.

1 Like

Not sure what you’ve heard, but no rap/hip-hop I know of is “monotonous chanting noise”.

I’m a big fan of Australian hip-hop (or skip-hop as it’s sometimes called). The beats, the samples, the political messages, the talent and especially the wordplay. Try Hilltop Hoods, Urthboy, Seth Sentry, Briggs, if you’re interested in finding out more (although I totally understand if you’re not interested - each to their own). And Illy’s new track ‘swear jar’ is my jam today: ‘fuck you and you and you, you’re cool, fuck you and I’m outta here!’

1 Like

Well, you can have the talent, wordplay and political messages with the ancient singer-songwriter approach of the man-and-guitar style. As a bonus, you also get a melody. Paging Bob Dylan…

…gods, I feel old…

Edit: political message, an example. (Try also find “Teacher, teacher” by the same author. Apparently not on Youtube but I looked just briefly.)

Oh there’s plenty of melody, harmony, counterpoint, you name it, in hip-hop too! Indeed, Hilltops did a gorgeous album a few years ago called ‘the hard road restrung’ with Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and the strings in particular are lovely. And they’re just about to do the same with their latest album before they tour again early next year. I am excite!

1 Like

Just like any other big mega-genre, there’s a huge variety of styles. Here’s a recent rap/hip-hop hit, which not only has melody, but a brass band, and I think it’s a terrific song.

3 Likes

Not as bad as usual hiphop but still a gross mismatch with my tastes. :frowning:

The chorus of Minaj’s “Superbass” (the only song of hers that I actually know, I lean more towards the alternative pop side of the musical spectrum) has some melody to it. A lot of modern hip hop mixes rap with actual singing.

(cued up to the chorus, so you don’t have to sit through the rappy rap parts :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.