Nike's "Just Do It" slogan was inspired by murderer Gary Gilmore's last words

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/29/nikes-just-do-it-slogan-was-inspired-by-murderer-gary-gilmores-last-words.html

2 Likes

Darkly appropriate for our society.

6 Likes

4 Likes

You might say Nike was looking through Gary Gilmore’s words when they created their advert.

9 Likes

In these times, perhaps we need a new spirit of cheerful resignation …?

The Martyrdom of St Lawrence (patron of barbecues, cooks, and comedians)

The prefect was so angry that he had a great gridiron prepared with hot coals beneath it, and had Lawrence placed on it, hence Lawrence’s association with the gridiron. After the martyr had suffered pain for a long time, the legend concludes, he cheerfully declared: “I’m well done on this side. Turn me over!”

7 Likes

The source of this legend might well be a scribal error- someone copying an early version of his story wrote assus est (he was roasted) instead of passus est (he suffered, i.e. was martyred).

2 Likes

Oh, you read the Wikipedia, too, I am chastened :hot_face:

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend, my friend.

4 Likes

“Let’s Do It” to me seems more inspiring (in the context of sports/athletics), like you’re not the only one out there busting your ass and others are sharing that journey too. “Just Do It” seems more forceful, like… “hey bum just do the thing you’re supposed to be doing”

3 Likes

As the story goes, when St. Lawrence arrived at the gates of Heaven he was met by St.Peter, who embraced him and exclaimed, “Lawrence! Well done!”

10 Likes

I vote for “Don’t worry. Relax.” — Rajiv Gandhi

Probably not the vibe they are going for, but it’s the vibe I am going for…

1 Like

Ha! It’s like a twist of fate swapped the two messages.

presumably why he’s the patron saint of comedians.

6 Likes

Yeah, really. Also, “Just do it” has always felt like an order and/or implied to me a certain… hastiness, lack of consideration and concern. Like, “You have problems with this? Too bad, just do it” or “Don’t think it through or plan it, just do it.”

2 Likes

Yeah there’s a kind of implied aggression there that seems like motivation but with the wrong spirit behind it. “Lets do it” to me seems softer in tone and more inspiring, like hey lets do this together! We’re all on it with you. I doubt Nike would ever change their slogan to it :stuck_out_tongue: especially considering the source of the alleged quote but i still like it.

1 Like

former Catholic here.
i LOL’d!

2 Likes

Well, as an advertising slogan “Just do it” wins in a landslide. It’s a direct call to action; “let’s do” it is merely a suggestion …

But to give the slogan its best possible interpretation, think of it more as a “power move” - a way for your body to control your mind, instead of the other way around.

A kettlebell instructor once taught me how to get past any hesitation about starting the next set, even when your arms are burning and no part of you feels ready. When you notice you’re hesitating, you grasp the kettlebell’s handle and pull it like a ripcord, swinging it back forcefully, even while your mind is still saying, “Let’s wait a second, I’m not quite ready.” By the moment the weight is in motion, the set has already begun, and such inner negotiations are irrelevant.

In other words … (yes, I realize I’m totally shilling for Nike at this point in my post) “just do it.”

1 Like

Well someone already posted The Adverts so I’ll leave this instead.

It was told to me by an Anglican priest at York Cathedral who stopped to explain some of the stained glass windows.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.