Nintendo's relaunched NES Classic sells out in seconds

If it’s so simple why couldn’t Element14 meet demand for the Raspberry Pi Zero?

While I agree with that, I’ve never found an emulator that could play Solar Jetman correctly. Lots of sprite issues, don’t know if it’s the rom rips I get are bad or it uses some weird obscure emulation trick.

1 Like

Are you looking for that full retro experience of being bathed in radiator from a classic CRT setup?

Oh you sweet CRTs how you made black such a realistic color.

3 Likes

I thought the problem was shopping bots that takes the lotion from the basket and sells it on eBay.

4 Likes

Is there an HDMI to RCA adapter?

It beats sunlight.

And it isn’t like I am a retro hipster. I have my grandmas old Sony Trinatron. I can’t get rid of it if I wanted to. It weighs literally 80lbs. I had to get friends to move it in and they won’t fall for that trick again.

7 Likes

Boy do I feel dumb. Here I am, picking mine up on Thursday night, getting home, unboxing it and playing a bunch of Zelda, Mario and Final Fantasy, and it didn’t even occur to me I should have just flicked it on for a massive profit… :confused:

My only complaint is the one I knew going in - that wired controller has a very short cable. I honestly don’t think they want people playing this on a tv. The hdmi cable is longer than the controller cable, and you need a near by USB power socket. I really don’t understand the short-cable decision (unless it was because they didn’t want long cables all over the computer desk I guess they think most players will play at)

3 Likes

I pre-ordered and did that. Well, not massive, but tolerable. Someone desperate for one got a bargain (it went for a chunk below what most others were going for, just for a quick sale.), I got a few extra bucks.

2 Likes

To be fair (to me…) I was only vaguely aware it was going to be popular because my local EB Games guy asked if I wanted to pre-order, and mentioned they were down to only a handful left that weren’t pre-allocated and had already entirely cleared out their second-controller allocation. I assumed he was spinning a line to get the pre-order, or, there were just a handful making to NZ.

Our local eBay equivalent (trademe) has a couple of them at $200+ (nz retail was $110).

2 Likes

Yes, things like this exist. Look for an HDMI to composite converter. I see a few on Amazon for around $50.

Such a device is likely introduce some lag, though.

This is a real deal breaker for me. It’s rumored that they even dug out the original controller molds to make the new ones. The original controller had like a 7’ long cable. I have no idea why this one is only like 2’ long.

…which you can expand all the way up to arcade Quake.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hopkinsii/29471957252/in/dateposted/

1 Like

Nintendo is a much bigger company and has years of experience launching new products. And they have a proven track record of botching releases, the Wii and 3DS had supply problems, and Amiibo has been a disaster as far as supply goes.

3 Likes

The 3DS did not have supply problems. If anything they had too many. There
was a reason that Amazon didn’t carry Nintendo consoles for several years.

1 Like

@Grey_Devil Since you seem to be expert on Nintendo’s manufacturing and logistics for multi-region product launches, can you tell us how many units of the NES Classic were allocated to first wave launch for North America and how many units of the upcoming Famicom Classic are to be allocated to the Japan launch later this month?

@Mister44 If you can’t get the HDMI>RCI working, I read that the NES Classic does have a display mode to emulate the color distortion of playing on a CRT.

Again, it isn’t that I WANT to replicate playing on a CRT - it is that all I have right now is a CRT.

2 Likes

I misunderstood. Probably for what it would cost you to get a decent (non POS) HDMI down scan converter, you could get a LCD monitor with HDMI inputs that would end up taking up less space.

If you don’t mind emulation, an original Raspberry Pi has a composite socket on it and can run NES games.

http://www.lakka.tv/doc/Hardware-support/
(there are other emulator distros, but this is the one I use)

Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 uses a 3.5mm TRRS socket for composite connections that I couldn’t get working, and I didn’t really have any need for it so I never bothered trying further.

1 Like

I would say about 20

It’s the physical object they covet.

They’re idiots for getting this when they can get an older model if they go to a used video game store. And emulators are much better.

Are people doing this because of hatred for current games systems and current games?

1 Like

What YOU could get for free by hacking an old Wii.

Most people have zero idea how to do that.

1 Like