Nintendo's relaunched NES Classic sells out in seconds

Just recent saw one of those that had been on continuously since 1986. Going strong.

1 Like

Some truth to that.

But, let’s ignore the question of hacking a Wii and let’s call it downloading an emulator on a PC. Lots more people do that, and it’s relatively trivial.

1 Like

If you’re really desperate, you can contact me to buy my original (AN ORIGINAL!!! HOW F-in VINTAGE!!!) NES that’s sitting unused in it’s original box across the room from me (and my PS4).

“Oh you bought the remake? I bought an original from this old dude on the internet…” Instant Hipster cred!

4 Likes

I dunno, there’s one made out of solid aluminum online. Can’t get more hipster than that… well… maybe if it was made out of reclaimed wood or something…

1 Like

I have the opposite problem – I’ve got a shelf full of retro hardware and only an LCD to use them on, which looks awful. Wanna trade??

Do they make RCA to HDMI connectors? I do still occasionally play my Dreamcast.

But in all seriousness, if you and a buddy came to KC and could move it, I’d do it.

Top of the line back when my grandma bought it. It has 5 or 6 inputs on the damn thing. So you could hook up many different systems. I have it on a buffet furniture piece, and the top drawer has my Dreamcast and PS1 my brother gave me. I just use those velcro cable holders, open the drawer pop the RCAs into the front and the AC plug into the power strip by the TV. When I am doin I can just put it all back in there.

Also, I have been tempted to get the retro system that plays all the old NES, SNES, Sega, and Genesis games. But then you have to actually go out and find/buy/store the games. Eh - I just don’t have the time money or gumption for that right now, but others might look into it. Though this new mini-NES is a bargin because even if you only like 15 of the games on there, you probably wont find them online for only $60.

Sadly, that’d be a four-day drive, so I think I’ll go with Craigslist, but thank you anyhow!

They do in fact make RCA-to-HDMI connectors, though right now I’ve got my Nintendo, ColecoVision, and Genesis plugged into an LCD TV’s S-video port and other connectors back there. Looks like crap, unfortunately. Retro machines like that need to be plugged into CRTs.

1 Like

My hope is that when I finally upgrade, I can find a retro gamer to take it. Maybe even give me $20 for it. As far as CRT goes, it is very nice, and the sound is decent too.

[quote=“Mister44, post:47, topic:89283”]
retro system that plays all the old NES, SNES, Sega, and Genesis games. But then you have to actually go out and find/buy/store the games[/quote]

I don’t know about all the consoles but i am aware that Flash cartridges for consoles are a thing. I know they make them for the NES, can’t speak for the quality or ease of use but could be something to look into if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I dunno… was that aluminum locally sourced?

2 Likes

Yes, but you’ll pay dearly for one that’s good for gaming (like the XRGB Framemeister).

You’re better off getting a VGA adapter for the Dreamcast. Composite is about the worst quality possible (short of RF) and should be avoided unless there’s truly no alternatives.

Some of those systems have s-video or RGB component cables available. Please use those over RCA composite.

It depends on the system. Some might have technically better cables available, but have games that rely on the flaws in composite encoding.

The most obvious example I can think of are some of the old CGA graphics PC games.

compared to something like this on a non-composite cable.

Images from https://devtidbits.com/2008/03/16/dosbox-graphic-and-machine-emulation-cga-vga-tandy-pcjr-hercules/

1 Like

Since @Mister44 mentioned a Dreamcast and PS1 I dont think that applies. Might not apply to the SNES or Genesis either.

All this Nintendo nostalgia is well and good but when are they going to bring back Intellivision?

2 Likes

If you are using a Master System or Mega Drive/Genesis, you NEED a better cable than composite. Sega really messed up there.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare2.html

On the other hand, some of the Sunsoft games on the NES were designed with composite cables in mind and may look better using one.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.