"No Going Back" author Kristi Noem already going back on her made-up encounter with Kim Jong-Un

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/no-going-back-author-kristi-noem-already-going-back-on-her-made-up-encounter-with-kim-jong-un.html

9 Likes

So that autobiography gets shelved with fiction. Got it.

17 Likes

It’s funny because you can pretty much get away with saying the most inane bullshit, but when you put it in writing you look like a crazy person. The printed word is “permanent” and we hold a higher expectation of it being true.

Also - where was her editor and fact checkers on the book? You would think the publisher would roper her in on the big whoppers like this.

16 Likes

“I’m not going to talk about my specific meetings with world leaders,”

But you wrote about them?

19 Likes

So she’s a dog killer, bad at thinking on her feet, and a liar.

Seems like a classic Republican candidate.

21 Likes

This. Despite the publisher saying “Ask Noem about this” I think they should be asked if they’re planning to make any changes to their fact-checking and editorial policy based on this … let’s be generous and call it “inaccuracy” that made its way into their product. How can we be confident that the next autobiography that they publish isn’t riddled with similar inaccuracies (and therefore potentially completely worthless)?

9 Likes

i think if they did that kind of fact checking, there’d never be another autobiography or memoir again. the whole market exists to tell stories not facts, unfortunately.

see also: art of the deal, and whatever that recent musk book was about

their fact checkers exist for things like “the capital of kansas is topeka” rather than for research into the book’s subject’s life

11 Likes

She wants to snuff Biden’s dog too:

Noem wrote in her upcoming book, “No Going Back,” that if she ever got to the White House, she would differ from Biden in his handling of Commander, who was eventually banished from the White House grounds. “Commander, say hello to Cricket,” she wrote.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4646010-noem-suggests-bidens-dog-also-should-have-been-shot/

7 Likes

“Further questions about the passage should be referred to the author.”

That is the publisher throwing her under the bus should more lies come forth.

10 Likes

I somehow doubt the publisher of such luminaries as Ben Carson, Betsy DeVos, Newt Gingrich, and Vivek Ramaswamy is going to change their fact checking.

17 Likes

You’re going to fact check a Republican? Don’t you know that’s a violation of the First Amendment, and also censorship, and something something fake news? SHE WILL NOT BE SILENCED.

12 Likes

She didn’t change it previously, because it didn’t register as a lie because she thought she got away with it.

9 Likes

If all of this goes normally, wealthy Republican donors have already purchased enough copies of this book to introduce it as a ‘bestseller’ and plan to ‘give’ them or sell them to small donors and event attendees. I’ll wager none of those books will have these ‘corrections’ she’s talking about.

As the publisher said, you don’t ‘fix’ a printed book: You modify the next print run. That’s not the same thing.

12 Likes

Given how seemingly completely unprepared Noem has been for the scrutiny and response, I have to wonder if she never actually expected anyone to read the thing. It would make sense - normally right-wing politicians “write” books that are then bought up by right-wing political organizations that give them as “gifts” to donors, who then don’t read them. All as a way to funnel money to politicians and raise their profile by having their names appear on book sales charts (she describes herself as a “New York Times bestselling author”). It may have been true of her previous book, even - but now she is (or was, rather) being talked about as a possible VP, so there’s suddenly some actual attention being paid to the unremarkable governor of a unpopulated state.

Also it’s pretty amusing that her response to the scrutiny of the book is “some questionable content has been pointed out to me, and I have people looking into it,” given that she’s supposedly the freakin’ author, having consistently taken sole credit for writing her damn books (no one else is acknowledged as contributing to them) up until now. It suggests that not only did she not write any of it, but she didn’t even read it.

13 Likes

Well I was just chatting with my buddy, Kim Jong-Un last Tuesday, and he remembers meeting with Kristi Noem, and it seems she did not make a good impression on him, although he was quite impressed with her work with canines.

10 Likes

The New York Times used to, and maybe still does, use a “dagger” mark on its bestseller list to indicate books that were mostly purchased in bulk, making their status as “bestsellers” questionable. Twenty or so years ago when I used to look at the list I was amused at how often, say, Ann Coulter’s books would be marked.

7 Likes

Nice to know, but I suspect that will never prevent the “# WEEKS ON THE NYT BESTSELLER LIST!” blurb on the dust jacket.

4 Likes

She did read it. Out loud.

9 Likes

Yeah, but she didn’t, you know, understand the words.

8 Likes

22 Likes