No military role in U.S. election, top general reassures voting public

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/no-military-role-in-u-s-elect.html

5 Likes
21 Likes

‘Reassures’ is, as some people tend to say, doing a lot of work in that sentence.

16 Likes

Yeah, still not so reassured. For some reason I assumed it was border patrol that Trump was talking about using again, but I guess it was the military (too?). Which doesn’t make me feel better as now I’m guessing Trump is trying every federal force he can think of, until someone says “yes.”

Except in this case, Trump has already publicly made statements about the possibility of sending in federal forces on election day. So it’s specific because this particular issue has already come up.

Gods, we are so fucked.

18 Likes

“I foresee no role for the U.S. armed forces in this process… We will not turn our backs on the Constitution of the United States.”

If he had said “Under no circumstances will we…”, I might feel “assured.” “I foresee…” is a bit lukewarm. It is the statement of someone who doesn’t want to answer for going back on an “assurance” later when he has.

16 Likes

I foresee no role for the U.S. armed forces in this process…

Nelson: I see no ships.

5 Likes

Didn’t T**** try to get the the military out on the streets a few weeks back around the time of the bible photo op?

IIRC he was more or less told to go fuck himself then and he had to make do with the unidentified fascist thugs from the prison system.

11 Likes

This is why Trump has manufactured his own storm troopers personally loyal to him. It’s gonna be ugly.

Also:

18 Likes

Yup, it’s “I made a mistake” Milley, who I’d hoped had better sense than to back “Bone spurs” in any unusual situation:

As Admiral Grace Hopper said, “It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” Maybe his past experience with 45 will lead him to do better and stay out of it in November. I’m sure the administration is busy looking for loopholes to justify getting whatever they want.

10 Likes

“I foresee no role for the U.S. armed forces in this process… We will not turn our backs on the Constitution of the United States.”

And if Trump clearly, obviously rigs the election? Or refuses to leave office upon clearly losing?

Maybe it’s best to hope the military doesn’t intervene if Trump’s will to fascism becomes even more entrenched, but then, I wonder what other state force would stop it?

4 Likes

Maybe the troops involved will make all the difference. For years, we’ve seen complaints of incompetence and abuse from agents who work for CBP, ICE, and TSA. They don’t have the same standards as the military.

From the protests, we know which agencies are willing to undermine and selectively enforce the law. I wonder who will be able to call on forces to defend it? It might only take one decisive lesson from the pros to make the others back off. :crossed_fingers:t4:

9 Likes

This whole thing troubles me, not because I think they would help Trump, they don’t like Trump. He’s an ass, he’s not military minded, his interests don’t align with theirs, he has no ability to lead militarily…

… but, what happens if the next fascist to take office is someone who is not an ass, whose interests align with theirs, and has the ability to lead militarily…

If they were that easily persuaded when it is a farce, how can they be trusted when it is a real effort?

10 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Xeni comments link redirect

Thank god the actual military leaders aren’t fascists. They actually take their role seriously.

This is why I don’t see Trump staying in power illegitimately.

However, he could stay in power legitimately, so get out and vote.

15 Likes

Especially if he puts out a call to “the militia”, which I am not reassured won’t happen.

9 Likes

How many millions can he lose and still get the Electoral College thing?

2 Likes

Who were the forces sent to portland? Who is Eric prince?

2 Likes

Niemand hat die Absicht, eine Mauer zu errichten!

2 Likes

Oh, at least about 3 million.

6 Likes

I’m always surprised how deep US military worship goes even among those that clearly see Trump for what he is.

That’s the military of Abu Ghraib, drone bombings of weddings and random rage killings of surrendered enemy combatants you’re talking about. “Standards” indeed.

6 Likes