No one noticed this woman's zoom call joke 264 times in a row

God, that’s hay-larious. I was, like, that would be really funny, and then I was, like, wouldn’t that be funny again?

2 Likes

Yes, many coworkers do and I myself use exactly two upper body covers:

• a completely black T-shirt (actually, a San Francisco skyline in a moonless, cloudy night during a blackout).
  • an orange kurta (I checked with my Indian colleagues to make sure they did not consider it cultural appropriation - it’s a gift from one of them, in fact)

Next time I’d go for the Magnum PI, no one misses it

Yes, the mustache is pretty much in-your-face.

5 Likes

Are we looking at a new definition of joke?

This. Even without the training, I wouldn’t comment on someone’s appearance or how they dress. But the training absolutely serves to reinforce that concept and ensure that those who DO think its totes fine at work to make comments about personal appearance realize it’s not.

5 Likes

some people become far-right white supremacists “as a joke,” and then just never stop.

(Insert “that escalated quickly” meme here)

Is this a variant of Godwin’s Law?

This is exactly what I was reminded of. This is progress!

2 Likes

The headline here is very misleading. The joke is that she wore the shirt 264 times in a row. The first time she wore it, it wasn’t a joke. Otherwise every time you wear a shirt it’s a joke.

Whenever something is repeated this long, there is an interesting phenomenon, where continuing the action vacillates between being funny and unfunny (Possibly best illustrated by the Family Guy gag where Peter holds his leg in pain saying “Oooh, Ahh” consistently for 2 minutes). I hope this went to press at the right time.

MIB 3__J__funny is prerequisite

(On the other hand, I sometimes deliberately make jokes I know for a fact that no-one around me will understand, but it amuses me.)

3 Likes

I guess I shouldn’t feel bad that no one noticed me taking a swig from a large bottle of Tabasco…

Yeah, Carl knows. Shirt and Short color don’t matter.

Yeah, you’re talking about it right? Andy Kaufmann got ya with the old wear a shirt 250 times in a row and make internet people comment about it gag

Came here to say the same thing. I think it’s GREAT that a woman can wear the same shirt 264 days in a row and nobody has anything to say about it.

2 Likes

With a little photoshop work, I fill my background with a collage of whichever shirt I’m wearing. This one’s the bowling shirt with the wrong name. I also have Hawaiian shirts, solids, etc. It’s a constant source of concern. (some of the patterns are kind of nuts)

2 Likes

My go to reference was always Kristen Schaal and Kurt Braunholer’s “Kristen Schaal is a horse” bit.

(This is a very abbreviated performance. They would sometimes do it for 10 mins or so)

2 Likes

No, no, no, no, no.
Where she went wrong was in wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Nobody notices if those things show signs of… um… wear.
A white blouse would do the trick. And by that, I mean, a blouse that started off white, but got grubbier and grubbier through the year.
But then she might have wanted to keep her job. :thinking:
Now I’m wondering if a white blouse with a new, interesting stain every week would be entertaining…

2 Likes

I would imagine people would be more likely to notice if some one never wore the same thing twice for over 200 days.

Realistically with so many people embracing fashion minimalism and with the shirt being work-appropriate… why would they say anything?

How would you even say that without being rude or kind of weird/creepy? Like “hey, could you like wear a different shirt, I’m tired of seeing you in that one?” or “are you wearing the same shirt all of the time on purpose?”

All I can say is if I even did notice a coworker was always in the same shirt/an identical looking shirt on video calls I definitely wouldn’t mention it to anyone.

3 Likes

…no?

I couldn’t tell you what a single one of my colleagues wore to our last zoom meeting. Nor indeed what I wore. I certainly wouldn’t notice if someone never wore the same thing…

3 Likes

Yeah, it could be a stain, a decoration, anything distinct, but have it move across the shirt or change in some way so that just a screenshot from each call would be a stop motion animation frame. It could even be something in the background.
Imagine you have daily zoom calls and you all agree that for, say 100 calls you all will make a subtle change/animation that shows up from a screenshot at any point in the call. You get 100 frames to animate with how ever many people you regularly call with. A roaming freckle; wooden pose figure doing whatever; have ten shirts with a design that forms a run animation; have a framed print of sapling grow into a majestic oak. I kinda wish I had to suffer through these visual meetings just to do this.

It’s kind of sad. That means all the people that faced her and interacted with her didn’t even look at her closely enough to see this shirt over and over. It seems she was just an undistinguished blob in a camera That was dealt with on a very perfunctory level.