No one noticed this woman's zoom call joke 264 times in a row

Originally published at: No one noticed this woman's zoom call joke 264 times in a row | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Welcome to the new normal.

Perhaps they were just being polite.

I wear the same hat on every call and it eventually just becomes part of my identity. Very handy if I want to go incognito, I just take it off.

29 Likes

Make that 265 times…

10 Likes

This seems more likely to me. I don’t talk about coworker appearances unless it’s a health concern.

I’d just assume she liked the shirt and wore it during lockdown to be comfortable. I didn’t shower or change clothes everyday in the last year.

I also didn’t turn my camera on much because how I look shouldn’t matter to my coworkers.

25 Likes

Same! I went to a conference just before lockdown started and I didn’t wear a hat during a few of the events. People I’d known for years had no idea who I was until I showed them my name tag :joy:

8 Likes

If no-one got the “joke” the first 263 times it was pulled, and then had to have it explained before acknowledging anything… is it even a joke?

13 Likes

They might have noticed it, but they were just being polite.

I’ve been wearing the same five t-shirts on zoom calls for the past 18 months. I have a coworker who worse the same hoodie every day for months and no one mentioned it. We really only comment on appearances if it is something exceptional or clearly a change, eg dying hair from brunette to shocking pink.

12 Likes

Absolutely they were. It’s very uncharitable of her to think anything else, really.

9 Likes

After taking mandatory 2 hr anti harassment training every 2 years why would I ever take a chance on commenting on a coworker’s shirt

26 Likes
7 Likes

bill murray high quality GIF

16 Likes

Steve Jobs made it normal to have only one look. Why even assume it’s the same shirt? She may have more than one, and it’s her Zoom shirt.

Really, it’s no big deal. Take it as a sign that her contribution was important, not her clothes.

14 Likes

That was you? Didn’t recognize you.

I wear the same company logo shirt when I have to be on calls with Customers (we have regularly scheduled ones with the same people) every single time.
Otherwise, with co-workers only I usually have a band/concert shirt on.
One time one of them was like “are you sure that’s Mike, he doesn’t have a concert shirt on”. I said, it is, you just can’t see the logo… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As the person who gives these trainings: thank you!

15 Likes

Didn’t that get warm?

16 Likes

What is worse:

1. She did it and no one commented on it,
  2. Someone thought this worthy of telling the world about it
  3. People agreed and actually ran a story on it
  4. Or I decided to comment on this?
5 Likes

Lol I swear I was paying attention 100%

2 Likes

Not much of a joke tbh.

But then my colleagues and I do not usually turn our cameras on, and I do not pay attention anyways when they do.

Like others here, I have one “meeting shirt” for those meetings where camera is required. It’s a wrinkly grey polo, and that’s the best I can do.

8 Likes
  1. that I thought it so un-newsworthy that I commented on your comment?
1 Like