No, seriously, THIS is the mission patch for Google's drone warfare AI contract with the Pentagon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/31/we-kill-with-comedy.html

5 Likes

Now I am wondering if Google is just trolling The Pentagon…

8 Likes

“Our Office is Adware?”

4 Likes

A lot of these mission patches are weird, but this one is just inexplicably bad.

8 Likes

Looks like something you’d expect to see on Futurama.

14 Likes

… da’fuq? My thoughts in no particular order:

A seal for the group in a recent presentation, from project chief Lt. Gen. Jack Shanahan, depicts a trio of cheery cartoon robots under a Latin motto that Google Translate renders as “Our job is to help.

Of course that’s what Google translate says it means. Don’t bother double checking. I’m certain it’s correct. Latin’s a dead language anyway. I hear robots killed it.

None of them appear to be murderbots, although the red one with the rainbow logo seems to be attending an Ozzy Osborne concert. “Wooo! Freebird!” So it bears watching.

My reading from left to right, top to bottom: “Stop right there, happy citizen. Raise your hands and reach for the clouds. You have 3 seconds to get down on the floor before we shoot you in the heart. Our job is to help.”

This is… … someone’s kid must have designed this. That’s the only explanation I’m willing to accept.

7 Likes

I’m sad I’ve never worked on a project that had any sort of mission patch. I guess writing software to manage maintenance manuals or medical logistics just doesn’t merit a badge =(

2 Likes

The font choice for the Latin is what makes it work.

8 Likes

Never read Dick’s “Second Variety”? Murderbots should preferably not look like murderbots.

7 Likes

sad_panda_badge

20 Likes

So, representations of childlike toys are used to represent a tech program designed to indiscriminately kill kids i.e. civilians.

Good thing Google removed the “Don’t be evil” tag…

Why can’t they just spend their time writing boobs-be-gone algorithms.

12 Likes
5 Likes

The previous high res version didn’t translate to fabric well

15 Likes

Is this just me? I’m seeing two male (maybe one androgynous) robots doing active robotty things, and one female robot reclining in a cheesecake pose and flashing a come-hither smile.

3 Likes

I like it but it’s not nearly jargony enough using terms that sound important but are only tangentially related also more TLA’s please.

1 Like

I dunno they all have seem vaguely feminine to me, with the reclining one appearing to be the most masculine.

1 Like

Agreed it’s some generic half-baked Futurama throw away bots.

3 Likes

very_sad_panda_badge

I’m getting more breakdance and less cheesecake from that pose. And about as “come-hither” as the Cheshire Cat.

Although the one reclining is the only one with anything approaching an hourglass figure. And also wearing knee high boots. So…

I’m still leaning toward a kid creating this. The fact that all three are sporting cutie-marks just adds to it.

“Hi! I’m Happy Bot!”

“Rock on! I’m Rainbow Bot!”

“Peace out! I’m Conscientious Objector Bot! Nah, I’m just kidding. I’m Punch You Through The Heart Bot!”

“We are the Friendship Bots, and together, ‘Our Job is to Help!*’”

" *… kill your enemies."

7 Likes

Latin class was a very long time ago but… I’m pretty sure that that’s an accurate translation.

1 Like

I’m sure it is accurate.

I was being snarky by pointing out that using Google Translate to determine what the Latin means that Google put on their warmonger patch was a bit… trusting.

5 Likes