No, seriously, THIS is the mission patch for Google's drone warfare AI contract with the Pentagon

What, you wanted an actual kill-bot AI on it?

Hal-9000_400x400

And it would have fitted the patch nicely…

3 Likes

Could be worse. Could be a lot worse.

BawJ5tCCEAAQ6AN2

11 Likes

Are you kidding? I NEED IT!

1 Like

It’s certainly dreadful; but I have to wonder if “make it look disarmingly like something from the my-web-designer’s-nephew-bodged-it-out era of internet innocence (and deeply low production values); specifically so it doesn’t look like what you’d expect from a collaboration between targeted advertising and targeted munitions” was an intentional design requirement.

2 Likes

Actually I think it’s quite in line. NRO / NSA etc tend to have nudge nudge wink wink creepiness baked in, while Google takes the “disarmingly friendly” approach to surveillance.

2 Likes

That is awesome.

I think that’s pretty much the only way this makes sense. The design directive must have been something like, “Think ‘innocence’ - think ‘kids’.”

2 Likes

Given that they do a better job with pretty much every ‘doodle’ they put up to celebrate some day or another, I can only assume that incompetence was deliberate.

I whipped up the proposal below, which does a much better job of combining clandestine mission patch menace with iconic Google features in about a minute of deeply apathetic photoshopping. Someone who can even vaguely draw could probably get it appropriately vector-art-y and round by dinnertime.

proposal_oblig_latin

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1001862656486068224?s=21

6 Likes

“Google, the less nationalistic defense contractor.”

2 Likes

Should someone tell Brin that American defense contractors sell A LOT of weapons internationally? In fact, the USA literally gives other countries our own citizens’ tax money, to buy weapons from American defense contractors.

You’d think the founder of Google might… know these things?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he knows.

1 Like

Are we an US American company? Yes.
Do we produce guns? Hell no.
Lets find other ways to kill people then! Hell yes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.