Nobody in their right mind would come to Helsinki in November

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/06/nobody-in-their-right-mind-wou.html

10 Likes

I flew them there to find @Raita!

1 Like

The average daily low temperature for November is only a degree below freezing, so not all that bad, really.

17 Likes

No we know why the Hell is in Helsinki.

7 Likes

I thought that Hell was supposed to be hot.

6 Likes

Good point, I think.

5 Likes

It works if you mean Hel, rather than Hell. Hel being sometimes considered synonymous with Niflheim in Norse mythology.

Niflheim was primarily a realm of primordial ice and cold, with the frozen river of Elivágar and the well of Hvergelmir, from which come all the rivers. According to Gylfaginning, Niflheim was one of the two primordial realms, the other one being Muspelheim, the realm of fire. Between these two realms of cold and heat, creation began when its waters mixed with the heat of Muspelheim to form a “creating steam”. Later, it became the abode of Hel, a goddess daughter of Loki, and the afterlife for her subjects, those who did not die a heroic or notable death.

11 Likes

Been there in December… Dark, cold, drinking…

Loved it.

10 Likes

Sounds like a paradise.

5 Likes

ever visited a Finnish sauna?

5 Likes

“A hand is a small price to pay when I have recreated Hel… sinki!”

8 Likes

A moose once bit my sister.

9 Likes

@moosemalloy You did what?!

6 Likes

the correlation between bad ass and dumbass is, at times, difficult to sort out… My personal rule of thumb is that if there is a danger of freezing my ass off it would be a dumb thing to do. Hope this helps…

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s notorious for freezing over every year

3 Likes

Ever been in a Turkish prison? Ever seen a grown man naked?

8 Likes

Yes
(huh, ‘post must be six characters’ - so this)

1 Like

Hell, Norway? Oh cripes, 25°F is pleasant winter weather. Helsinki’s January average is similar, also pleasant.

If it averaged that here (Ottawa) in January, I would be pleased - it’s more like -4°F. Could be worse, I suppose; I could be living in Yakutsk.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know about this because I’ve only ever been to Helsinki in December.

My memories regarding the cold are (1) the snow didn’t melt at all, so instead of the streets being filled with horrible slush as they would be in London, there was just this dry, sand-like dirty snow everywhere, which made it actually less unpleasant; and (2) all the dogs were wearing little shoes, which was monstrously adorbs.

Then I took the overnight “party boat” to Stockholm, and when I went up on the deserted top deck in the middle of the Baltic, there was nothing all around but blackness and a lot of very cold wind which pushed you around the icy metal deck like an air hockey puck. Was pretty cool.

6 Likes

Which circle are you visiting? The 9th is a frozen lake.

6 Likes