Nobody in their right mind would come to Helsinki in November

only maybe if your racing squirrel on flickr

Indeed. Europeans are such pansies when it comes to the cold. My hometown’s average winter temperatures (in the Chicago suburbs) are colder than Tromso Norway. The average August temperatures are hotter than Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, Sri Lanka.

I would pretend to be a badass, but that just means that I only complain about the weather when I’m back home*.

*Except spring and fall.

3 Likes

This sign was at Slush Helsinki event main entrance, not at the airport.

1 Like

Temperatures just around freezing can create conditions more unpleasant than severe sub-zero temperatures, though- surface ice is much more slippery and the damp air can feel colder.

A friend of mine moved to Finland from northern England and finds the much colder winters more pleasant.

1 Like

It must have been Paradoxical Biting due to the cold. I definitely wasn’t hungry.

3 Likes

That’s actually a plot point in Vilhelm Moberg’s historical novels about Swedish settlers to Minnesota in the 19th century – the Swedes think they know winter, but are completely unprepared for the cold they experience.

2 Likes

So they have a high tolerance for it? That term has always struck me as a little odd. It was 19 degrees F, 7 Celsius when I took this picture. Pansies seem to love the cold.

2 Likes

Joey, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

3 Likes

By that, I assume you mean “Sow-nuh”.

ETA: Sow as in female pig, not planting stuff.

1 Like

Helsinky? Isn’t that in Hell’s Kitcheny?

That joke killed 'em back before radio. We had to make up our own entertainment.

6 Likes

No 

1 Like

Not always:

3 Likes

“Pony Trekking or camping,
or just watching TV…”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.