Nobody knows how to quit vaping

That’s the opposite of how you should interpret that observation. What it means is that nicotine is super a powerful evil that people CAN’T stop even when they clearly know it is killing them at this very moment.

I watched my mom still sneaking a cigarette at 2am once a week even as she knew stage 4 lung cancer was killing her. She was the victim here. She was also the most bad-ass, hard-nosed, strong-willed person I’ve ever met, so if she was captured in this web, anybody can be. Please refrain from victim-blaming.

18 Likes

As a addition to the opinions already expressed in the comments above, this is a disingenuous argument. As someone who previously smoke cigarettes, then vaped, and worked myself down to 0 nicotine and eventually nothing at all, there is most certainly a direct path towards quitting from vaping. I find this opinion in addition to the “only children like sweet flavored vapes” biased. Did I smoke cigarettes cause I LOVED the taste? No! I did it because I enjoyed the high from the nicotine. So as someone with a HUGE sweet tooth, switching to something that satisfied both those urges for me was even easier. Then whittling one down while satisfying the other made that process easier as well. I understand the concern over the unknown potential issues with vaping, but I don’t think those should be weighed heavier then the known concerns of traditional combustible nicotine delivery.

9 Likes

I tried the patch also, and it gave me insane nightmares the likes of which I had never experienced before or since.

It’s definitely a known and common side effect as well.

7 Likes

It wasn’t just you! I also used the patch to quit (almost 20 years ago now!) and I still remember the experience of those extremely vivid dreams.

4 Likes

Far as I can tell, Cory’s position is that cannabis is great for you, whether you eat it, smoke it, take it in oil drops, or shoot it into your eyeballs. Vaping, however, is the work of Satan and will not just bust your lungs but corrupt your morals and lead to a short and ugly life of wanton crime and licentiousness.

(I’m not entirely joking here, either.)

9 Likes

I think the issue is not really one of “only children like sweet flavored vapes” as much as sweet flavored vapes are specifically intended to hook children on an addictive substance, and do so pretty effectively. The fact that there are some adults who happen to also enjoy candy-flavored nicotine is a little beside that point, isn’t it?

10 Likes

“uniquely and fantastically unsafe”

3 Likes

I was recently in my doctors office for the yearly chest exploding from allergies and sinus drainage thing, and one of the things he was telling me was that there is a big concern that a lot of the vaping illnesses have been around for awhile, that it was being missed as people thinking they had the flu or some other respiratory disorder. The concern they had was this isn’t something new, it’s something old that’s been missed. He mentioned an oregon researcher at OHSU who had a paper circulating nearly 5-10 years ago talking about this exact issue and how they were starting to see cases that they suspected were caused by vaping.

10 Likes

Some mornings I would wake up and think to myself “Holy shit, brain. Where did that come from? I didn’t teach you that.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Had a particularly intense dream where I got spaghettified by a black hole and that’s where I drew the line.

6 Likes

<----golf claps.

Good on you! Congrats! It’s one of the toughest drugs to quit, although the social stigma is starting to make it easier.

5 Likes

Okay, this may seem messed up, but it goes to show how crazy the dreams are: I remember killing one of my family members who I deeply love because they were using a microwave that I wanted to use and I didn’t want to wait. That was where I drew my line.

This was after being on the patch for ~3 weeks and I said screw this, I’m done (was done smoking by then, too). Donated the rest of the patches to a men’s homeless shelter. I hope it helped and didn’t mess anyone up like it did me.

4 Likes

I disagree that they are “specifically” designed to hook children, purely based on the fact the they are an over 18 product. That being said, I was referencing this comment based on a NPR story where a proponent of the flavored vaping ban in San Francisco was on air saying “What adult would enjoy smoking Cotton Candy or Unicorn Juice” and me saying out loud in the car “ME!”. I smoked both those favors when I vaped. Now I am all for better restrictions around kids getting their hands on vaping products, but until you restrict every Cotton Candy flavored Vodka, and Toffee Flavored liqueur under the same premise it seems very unfairly targeted.

5 Likes

Well, you are wrong, sorry. The behavioral and addictive effects of nicotine absolutely work through dopaminergic pathways.

and:

3 Likes

Nobody knows how to quit vaping

To recycle Miles Davis’ famous comment to John Coltrane regarding his 30-minute solos, “take the horn out of your mouth.”

6 Likes

I stand corrected.

5 Likes

I think the problem is advertising to children and not the fact that vapes are available in sweet flavors.

After all, pot candies exist. Because adults also enjoy sugary things. No one is arguing that pot candies are specifically intended to hook children on the marijuana.

5 Likes

That’s a good point. An industry modeling itself on the tobacco industry would never target its products to children when those children weren’t legally allowed to purchase those products.

8 Likes

Holy cow there’s a lot of vapo-shilling happening and intentionally missing the point.

The point is that vapers get accustomed to huge rushes of nicotine, which is very difficult to wean oneself from when you’ve stopped vaping because of the threat of immediate death by poisoning.

ETA: Do we not all know about vapers being poisoned?

2 Likes

The difference is: children aren’t even allowed to enter pot stores. But have the run of gas stations and bodegas and “glassware shops” and those all heavily advertise vapeware at kids eye level often out on the countet available for heavy discount.

Just like cigarettes back in the day

5 Likes