Nobody knows how to quit vaping

Agreed. There doesn’t need to be a study on quiting vaping to extend evidence based practice for quiting other sources of nicotine.

In my experience, Chantix is very effective for quiting, although I had to go to high doses to stop nicotine 100%. Thankfully Chantix has gone generic.

2 Likes

Immediate death by poisoning by… what, exactly?

1 Like

see above

Ah, I see you edited your post since I responded, much confused. Understood.

I think what a lot of people are pointing out is that the vape-makers themselves offer progressively-lower nicotine vape juice/cartidges made to help people wean off of the huge hits of nicotine.

3 Likes

9.5 year vaper here. I smoked for 25 years. My mother died of lung cancer in 2009. I decided to quit. Nothing I tried worked to quit until I found e-cigs in 2010. Have not smoked since Jan 2011. I mix my own liquid. I was an early adopter and turned many people onto vaping.

My wife and several of my friends switched from smoking to vaping after I did and were able to quit vaping and nicotine completely after a year or two. Most had tried lots of other methods before vaping too.

I still vape. I’m not overly concerned by nicotine. I’ve been vaping the same mix for 7+ years and buy all the ingredients from labs and flavor companies, so I know what’s in it and I know that my health has drastically improved in the last decade. I’ll quit nicotine when and if my live allows for a couple weeks of mild nicotine withdrawal.

From my second-hand but direct experience, quitting vaping is MUCH easier than quitting smoking. I know what my wife was like when she tried to quit cigarettes and I know what she was like when she quit vaping and the difference was NIGHT AND DAY. She also claims it was much, much, easier to quit.

Here’s my speculation. I am unsure how much is backed up by clinical evidence The addictive potential of a drug depends on its delivery. Coca, cocaine, and crack are all the same drug, but they all represent different methods of ingestion - eating, snorting, and smoking. Eating is the slowest method and is least likely to cause addiction, smoking is the fastest and therefore most addicting.

Nicotine works the same way. The faster it hits, the more addictive it is. Nicotine gum is not particularly addictive - which is why it has some value in smoking cessation. Smoking nicotine is obviously extremely addictive since the smoke carries it directly into your bloodstream via the lungs.

Vaping, from what I understand (and feel subjectively) allows the nicotine to enter the bloodstream primarily through the mouth, throat and sinuses, which seems like it would provide a slightly slower onset of the effect. The vaper might even get more nicotine per puff, but that 30 seconds to a minute before it hits feels like twice what it is when you smoke. I’d put vaping addiction potential somewhere between eating and smoking. Simply put, this makes vaping easier to switch to if you smoke than gum, and easier to quit than if you tried to quit directly from cigarettes.

Anyway, my two cents.

4 Likes

The reason cigarettes are more addictive than the nicotine content alone counts for is both delivery, and the fact that they intentionally produce ammonia when burned which has been clinically shown to have a synergistic effect on the addictive properties of nicotine.

There’s freely available documents from tobacco companies where they discuss exactly how much ammonia should be added to the cigarettes before it alters the taste too much.

4 Likes

I know how people can quit vaping; put the makers in jail.

This is exactly what I mean. Shills are shilling, “just keep vaping but less” Not you, of course. I’m sure your opinion isn’t paid for.

Totally. That’s part of the whole marketing package.

1 Like

I’ve never vaped, but a good friend and my partner have both used lower-dose vapes to wean off and then quit; for a lot of people, nicotine is part of the addiction, but the act/ritual of smoking is another, and that’s difficult to break. Chantix is also extremely helpful (as other people have noted). There’s options out there.

I also agree with other folks that it’s very likely that these vaping health issues have been around awhile, but we simply didn’t make the connection. There simply hasn’t been enough research into the long-term effects of filling your lungs with propylene glycol all day long.

4 Likes

I always thought the weed vaporizers came first. Those big clunky things that cost way too much money that people who are way too into weed had ~15 years ago.

1 Like

You assuming that anyone with a counter point to yours is a “shill” doesn’t make your point. Unfortunately it seems all your willing to do is personally attack a person versus making your argument stand on its own.

3 Likes

that’s what I did. But in a news cycle that equates vaping only to Juul, it’s not surprising they’re not looking.

lucky you. Chantix wreaked havoc with me and a number of friends. Can’t really take it if you’re on antidepressants or other psychotropics. There’s a whole Chantix-induced saga about how a friend’s relationship with his ex-fiancee ended.

2 Likes

I can think of ONE way

1 Like

Yeah, it can be very hit and miss. Should always be under supervision and follow the listed protocol.

1 Like

no. Unless sweet, flavored alcohol is also specifically intended to hook children. Which i guess it kind of is since alcohol is way more abused by teens than nicotine.

1 Like

You don’t. The nicotine rush when you start smoking for the first time (or after a long break) feels incredible. Then you become addicted and you’re just trying to keep from feeling worse.

I’m lucky in that I never really got into smoking, but those few times that I have smoked tobacco, I totally understood how people get addicted.

2 Likes

Never really got a rush or any kind of euphoric feelings from smoking even very early on. I think the most I got was some light headedness from smoking a cigar wrong.

I’ve had way more rewarding and intense dopaminergic rushes from snorting ritalin, or taking Adderall.

Problem I have as a hopeless vape addict is: cigarettes have a beginning, middle and end. Vapes don’t. You just keep on hitting that thing. I’m probably further down the curve as dependency goes. Granted, it doesn’t seem as awful on my lungs, but if you wanna quit, the only time I did, it was patches. Instant, on-demand drug delivery isn’t gonna help an addict quit, no matter how finely they can tune the dose control.

3 Likes