Nope: Mayonnaise ice cream

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/30/nope-mayonnaise-ice-cream.html

8 Likes

Don’t knock it 'til ya try it. I had some Camembert ice cream in France which was quite good.

3 Likes

it’s not the deep fried mars bar but ooh and wait…
what would freshly made mayo do

The only thing of any consequence in mayonnaise that’s not in ice cream already is vinegar. So vinegar ice cream. still no.

9 Likes

Sad to see this kind of pre-judgement. Foodie-oriented restaurants will gladly serve olive oil and rosemary ice cream, and nobody bats an eye. Frozen custard is basically ice cream plus egg yolks. Mayonnaise is oil and eggs. This is only weird if you’ve decided to be weird about it.

9 Likes

The devil’s condiment? Nonsense. A good aioli with patatas bravas: sublime. A cone of pom frites in Paris with mayo: magnificent. Lobster rolls would be awful without it. You want to talk a hellishly cloying condiment devil’s-own then we can talk ‘ketchup’. Oh and you put that sugar bomb ketchup on a hotdog? May you know the lowest circle of hell (cuz that’s what it tastes like).

Ice cream, well maybe not, but salt/sour on sweet stuff is everywhere. I’d sample it but a whole dish or cone? naaaaaaah

8 Likes

This abomination could start a whole new round of ice cream wars in Scotland.

5 Likes

Mayo is great*, you don’t need to slander ketchup to make that point. Because ketchup is awesome. The only reason french fries even exist is as a ketchup delivery mechanism.

*If slightly evil, but egg-free mayo solves that problem.

3 Likes

I like vanilla, it’s the finest of the flavors.

7 Likes

Mmmm nothing like a m o i s t, creamy bowl of mayo ice cream

2 Likes

I wonder if this would be good on bread pudding?

3 Likes

Why do the two countries I most associate with fuck shit up so much sometimes?

Thanks Scotland for this. Thanks, Philippines, for butter ice cream. Seriously, butter ice cream. Yep, it tastes exactly like what you think it would taste like: a frozen stick of butter.

1 Like

I bet it would be even better all over a steaming pile of haggis and blood pudding.

1 Like

Mayonnaise: is the devil’s condiment. It’s been scientifically proven.

4 Likes

You are making it sound pretty cool. :metal::metal::metal:

8 Likes

Probably in the same ballpark as regular ice cream in terms of calories.

You first.

2 Likes

I guess if you add sugar then it’s not mayo ice cream anymore, it’s Miracle Whip ice cream.

6 Likes

Oddly enough, this was on the imgur front page today.

4 Likes

I just vomited in my mouth.

I suspect i’ve already recreated how this would taste.

7 Likes