French's made mustard ice cream a thing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/02/frenchs-made-mustard-ice-cre.html

To be frank, French’s is so full of sugar that - “Hey! Why not?!” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

French’s yellow mustard has no sugar. It’s bland, but not sweetened. Sweetened might actually be an improvement.

3 Likes

Really no sugar? Corn syrup, then? Tastes cloyingly sweet to me…

1 Like

Full Ingredients
Distilled Vinegar, Water, #1 Grade Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric, Paprika, Spice, Natural Flavors and Garlic Powder.

2 Likes

tumblr_mwuzhoIfQR1rdutw3o1_400

13 Likes

This sounds potentially good? but with mustard powder instead?
Vinegar in ice cream does not appeal to me at all.

2 Likes

Just because you can does not mean you should.

9 Likes

I like ice cream. I like mustard. This is an abomination.

Ice cream is the main thing. No one wants a mustard patty with burger meat condiment. Mustard is a flavor addition…not the main course.

French’s…you’ve gone too far.

7 Likes

Should go well with Heston’s bacon and egg ice-cream

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/heston-blumenthals-bacon-and-egg-ice-cream

1 Like

I’d try this. Maybe just because it’s Friday and I’m feeling all devil-may-care.

3 Likes

Fuck you French’s mustard, you can have my attention when you pry it from my cold dead user accounts. In the meantime, please shove your food-wasting trollvertising campaign up your butthole.

Yeah, no, I don’t think you want to try to cook a custard with vinegar. But just for laughs, I just whipped together a little cream, mustard powder, and sugar. And it wasn’t bad, really. You’d need to tinker with the ratios a bit. Strong hot mustard aftertaste, more than you get with say, a cinnamon or ginger ice cream.

2 Likes

The hardest of hard passes.

1 Like

I like to think I have an open mind, so maybe this is actually very good.

But open mind or not, I’m not going to open my mouth and find out.

They are clearly coordinating with Oscar Meyer somehow.

4 Likes

Do you think this would be better or worse than Iron Chef Sakai’s trout ice cream from Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters?

2 Likes

Way more close-minded people here than I expected. I’m willing to try it. My experiences with savory foods incorporated in various ways into desserts makes me optimistic about mustard-flavored ice cream. I’m certainly not going to judge it before I even see it in person, much less put it in my mouth.

2 Likes

While it sounds intriguing, I’m holding out for garlic ice cream. I’m absolutely positive someone has made this.