This Ketchup and Mustard cake is not cool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/26/this-ketchup-and-mustard-cake.html

4 Likes

18 Likes

Oh so carrot cake is bad and tomato cake is good? Stop cakeshaming me Rusty!

11 Likes

Ahhh, Ooooo, I could actually see this with a couple of hot dogs, a dill, and a side of tater tots…

4 Likes

Honestly the cake seems fine. It’s a modified and dies spice recipe.
The idea of mustardy frosting however, that sets off my gag-o-meter.

8 Likes

Ketchup is as American as apple pie! Why do you hate America? Why?

8 Likes

Yellow mustard is never a good idea.

5 Likes

needs hotdog-slice accents a-la bananas foster

10 Likes

Hey I like carrot cake. :yum:
With NO raisins! Raisins are good in Raisin Bran and out of a box cold. They don’t belong in cookies or other cooked things! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Ketchup and Mustard cake makes me think of Net Neutrality. :frowning:

2 Likes

Seeing any recipe and thinking “this needs ketchup in it” should probably be a lifetime ban from any kitchen to be honest.

5 Likes

Exactly this! I grew up thinking I hated mustard. Turns out I like it just fine, it’s just that yellow mustard is revolting.

2 Likes

It would be good to replace the American mustard with English mustard, bit more of a kick.

My theory is that raisins are added to cookies by people too cheap or too mean to use chocolate chips. And I like carrot cake, too.

7 Likes

Raisins are a concentrated fibery essence of the noble grape, and any cookie, cake, or breakfast cereal containing no raisins is a sadly inferior food.

10 Likes

Once went to a party in SF for my buddy the photog. He is from TX and we have scoped out bay area BBQ joints as a hobby. Well once he had a big party and I made hand pressed margaritas all night long in the kitchen. His gf’s daughter comes in with a cake, grabs her chocolate sauce from the fridge and pours it all over the cake. She licks her finger and burst into tears! What? What? She grabbed the BBQ sauce. I said she should just serve it as is, he’d love it. She cut away a half inch all around and smeared it with her filthy hershey’s chocolate syrup. Can’t win em all.

4 Likes

Raisins ruin any food it graces by completely overpowering with clusterbombs of sweetness. There are a few things i’ve eaten where raisins were not awful but honestly i’m more than happy just not having them near my food.

3 Likes

When I was 5, I insisted my mom make me ketchup sandwiches for lunch. My wise mother served me ketchup sandwiches for lunch. On the third day, I admitted defeat. No more ketchup sandwiches please, Mom.

I still like ketchup, deployed properly. For instance, French fries are merely a ketchup delivery system. Unless I’m in the UK. Then it’s malt vinegar by the pint on my chips.

1 Like

For me ketchup on fries is only acceptable if its made by the restaurant and has a unique taste to it, or if the fries are bad ketchup would be something i’d use to make them edible. Otherwise good fries are ruined by ketchup.

1 Like

The yellow mustard does not sound good, but a nice honey mustard could almost be used straight, without the conversion to buttercream frosting.

1 Like