This Ketchup and Mustard cake is not cool

I’ll own up to being a Philistine: I like commercial ketchup on certain foods.

I feel by yellow mustard as you do by ketchup: it ruins everything it touches with its pungency, with one exception: a soft pretzel.

(BTW, the cake that started this thread sounds revolting.)

2 Likes

“How embarrassing. A house full of condiments and no food.”
—Jack (Fight Club)

2 Likes

I love mustard, even the yellow kind. Though my preference is deli mustard or even better stone ground. Also really like the hot mustard/horseradish kinds

3 Likes

I like other mustards just fine … Dijon, stone ground, sinus-opening hot mustard … I just feel that yellow mustard on a hamburger or sandwich overpowers everything else. It’s all I can taste. Even in my own family, I’m considered odd on this count.

2 Likes

Oh jeez, it’s actual CAKE!

I saw the picture and thought it was a hamburger “cake” with mustard on top.

2 Likes

I think if you had to have a gripe against mustard it should definitely be yellow mustard :stuck_out_tongue: I happen to not mind it, but i don’t make it a habit to buy it anyways.

1 Like

Where I come from, ketchup and mustard cake is just called meatloaf and is pretty good.

7 Likes

Honestly, yellow mustard ain’t strong enough for me. I only go in for coarse ground. Or on a sandwich I like mixing coarse ground with honey mustard.

1 Like

When people complain about raisins in cookies, etc, I think of all the complaints about using the word “■■■■■” and how everyone claims to be afraid of clowns. Then I go back to mixing my ■■■■■ oatmeal cookie batter, which has double the amount of raisins the recipe calls for, and try not to get any on my big floppy red shoes.

edit: ■■■■■ = damp, or slightly wet

9 Likes

Ketchup? Mustard? That’s my custard.

1 Like

Has anyone actually tried this? It actually looks good but my brain short circuits and pictures it tasting like a slightly saltier carrot cake

I might try it this weekend.

I’ve made Campbell’s Tomato Soup cupcakes before, which were actually pretty great, so I’m not worried about the ketchup part. The mustard frosting, though… We’ll see!

6 Likes

Please do!

1 Like

Sincere thanks for NOT posting this in the Cake thread…

YUCK

This Ketchup and Mustard cake is not cool

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and say any ketchup and mustard cake is not cool.

1 Like

One word: Löwensenf.

Report back.

I brought it up w/my baking partner, and she seems game, so I’m almost definitely making it Sunday. I will let you know.

3 Likes
1 Like

That was a mistake.

I’ve made plenty of weird things or things with weird ingredients, but even my most failed experiments have been things that I could finish. I am full of regret. And mustard.

The cake itself was fine. I wouldn’t even be opposed to making it again. The tomato in the ketchup adds a nice subtle flavor to the spice cake. But oh god, the frosting. The worst part is, I could even see it working! The very first taste is a little weird, but not entirely unpleasant. But then the vinegar & mustard start to come through, and then it’s all you can taste. And it overpowers everything else. Even scraping the frosting off the cake couldn’t save it.

The problem is it uses so much mustard. Far more liquid, and acidic liquid at that, than any natural buttercream frosting. The frosting broke & we had to add more butter just to get it to even start to stay together. If it had used just a third of the mustard, it might have been somewhat palatable. But even then, probably too much.

Anyways, pictures:

BEFORE:

PROCESSING:

PROCESSING:

PROCESSING:

REGRET:

7 Likes