Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

The same damn Generalization of advocacy of human justice against Classism, Sexism, and Racism. We don’t ask for censorship of “Toxic Ideals” but to get people to realize that No One Is Equal, even in this Day and Age.

1 Like

It’s definitely related. But consider the differences in how someone would behave, in trying to overcome that sense of inadequacy.

Ahhh did I hurt your feelings? Calm down, man! Get a grip. Stop with the hysterics. Get a sense of humor. Why are you so sensitive and easily offended?

That’s still not the topic, I’m afraid. (and I got that you were using the word ‘hysterical’ the first time you did it with a different male in the thread. Just wanted you to know it didn’t go unappreciated)

1 Like

Dude, I was being sarcastic. Seriously, get a sense of humor.

1 Like

I was just appreciating your humor.

Cool story, bro.

1 Like

I would like to hear about the experiences of women who are making their own comics in their own way. I know there is at least one such person in the thread, because I was curious when she ‘hearted’ something and I looked at her profile and saw that she was a comic creator. I don’t recall exactly who it was, though, but if you fit that description I’d like to hear about your experience in that area.

5 Likes

Now, this I can get down with.

Hulk fist bigger than head!

Oh, well, thanks for clearing that up.

Guess you sure told us.

2 Likes

Also @alistairmichaelkinne apparently missed some replies – this isn’t necessarily even true anymore! Just like that whole “dudes play video games more than girls!” line. It’s no longer quite as simple as he wants it to be. But I’m sure he thought my mind was BLOWN!

(What about graphic novels? It’s not JUST about superhero comics!)

2 Likes

Aren’t they are basically the same?: extreme dieting/anorexia/bulimia, exercise, possible plastic surgery washed down with a heck of a lot of feelings of inadequacy and self-hate. I suppose I’d throw steroids in for men too.

Saw this a few years ago and thought it was enlightening. No idea where it originally comes from, though.

3 Likes

This is why my first answer is to pluralise everything. It’s a simple semantic exercise which can drastically shift the bedrock of people’s assumptions with the use of a single letter. Instead of speaking of “The sexual ideal”, I democratize it into “A sexual ideal”, or “one of the sexual ideals”. Idealism is perfectly good, so long as people take responsibility for theirs, instead of just assuming for everybody.

I think you can get a good idea of what western women find attractive in men by looking at the cast of “Supernatural”.

2 Likes

Close but not quite:

There’s also a 3D character generator that can (for the most part) create any characters of any shape or size. However, it’s NSFW due to fact that one of the base mesh have genitals.

This brings us right back to the original topic. The commonality is that both men and women are made to feel inadequate, because they do not conform to imagined ideal physical types. Those idealized physical types – or more accurately, the way they’re portrayed – have social implications. If you feel inadequate because you have it drilled into you that the ideal is to be very strong, powerful, and aggressive, then one way you might respond is to try to be domineering when you’ve got a chance to do so – making up for your lack of physical power with verbal harassment, for instance.

Another aspect of it: there’s the curious way that romance works in adventure stories, for male protagonists. In such stories, men succeed in romance after demonstrating physical or martial courage and skill – while scarcely even talking to the love interest. How does that even make sense?

(Granted, I do occasionally hear women remarking that they think firefighters are hot.)

2 Likes

(Granted, I do occasionally hear women remarking that they think firefighters are hot.)

Occasionally? Male firefighters are the epitome of sexy for most women who are attracted to men, I assure you.

As a lady who also like ladies, female firefighters are also super sexy.

4 Likes

And then there is Hugh Jackman who seems to encompass all of that all at the exact same time.

HOW DOES HE DO IT?

1 Like