Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

So there is a problem with gender relations? I thought there wasn’t?

10 Likes

Why? Because I’m enjoying how worked up you’re getting? That makes me irrational? Sorry that I have normal human emotions. I’ll go back to being a robot so you can take me seriously. Because I care what you think so damn much. :cry:

7 Likes

And the next time that BB posts about representations of women in other media besides comicbooks (they do, occasionally), we almost certainly will. In the meantime, this thread is about comics, so here we’re talking about comicbooks.

10 Likes

I have to say that most of the ads I see here don’t fit the general character of BB. I don’t think it’s really a problem, but sometimes the juxtaposition of content and ads is pretty amusing.

3 Likes

How worked up I’m getting? Am I the one getting gleeful about slaughtering sacred cows (however you think that applies here)? I’m plenty familiar with your brand of useless online activism, it’s as egomaniacal as it is futile.

We? I can spot the lie!

4 Likes

And yet, here you are.

9 Likes

Actually… You're proving your point.

8 Likes

And here I go, have fun telling yourself you scored another win for gender equality by acting like you should never be invited to social gatherings.

1 Like

Again, you are changing the subject here. Not any of the rest of us. Why are you so obsessed with women’s fashion magazines?

[edited to add] I care about comics as opposed to fashion magazines BECAUSE I ACTUALLY READ COMICS… not fashion magazines.

10 Likes

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle’s made from white plastic these days, but I’m sure you’ll have a lot to talk about.

5 Likes

At least as much fun as you had telling yourself than we tell ourselves anything like that!

That’s all you, MAN.

and you seem to think -we- would be sensitive about not being invited to parties… interesting detail…

5 Likes

Anyone here wanna have a drink with me?

10 Likes

I think @JollyWombat doesn’t want to address the issue at hand, because he likes looking at half-naked cartoon ladies and thinks it’s a pain in the ass when we point out that it is helping to objectify women.

8 Likes

Hi, newbie! Showing up and letting out a great slobbery MRA whine about clickbait is both more hilarious and more futile, so you win! YAY YOU!

10 Likes

Yep.

10 Likes

I don’t really see the point you’re trying to make, because both of those types of media have the exact same problem. Comic books, for the most part, draw women as men would like them to appear. “Women’s magazines”, also for the most part, contain reams of advice on how to appear more sexy and attractive to men. “6 sex moves that will drive him wild!” “Find the best bathing suit for your body!” (which invariably comes with a section on how to make your small breasts appear larger with the correct bikini top).

This article doesn’t say “only comic books have this problem”, but it is discussing comic books and not women’s magazines. If you’d like a discussion on the problematic aspects of those, try Jezebel, I’m sure they’ll have some.

14 Likes

I tried reason, too… didn’t work out too well. I had to resort to snarky gifs.

6 Likes

Really I was just hoping he’d go to Jezebel

9 Likes

If you’re up in ol’ Ann Arbor, I’m game.

3 Likes