Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

Hell no. I have dozens of unstated implications to get you to express for me.

I want to hear all about me from such an expert on the human condition as yourself.

2 Likes

You ever hear of irony?

From the article - if you disagree, fine, but tell us why.

Big muscles are a male fantasy. That’s not to say that women aren’t ever into them, but let’s face facts; women have never been the primary target audience for superhero comics, and male heroes are drawn with big muscles anyway. Make no mistake; women are there. But those big muscles are not there for women.
4 Likes

No one said “never”.

5 Likes

It’s all here for you to go back and read for yourself. I’m not your teacher.

Let me just quote yourself:

3 Likes

Wow. I forgot people like you even still existed. Thanks man. I remember why I am a humanist today.

4 Likes

Welp, you sure got me… that smart manbrain of yours certainly outdid my feeble lady-brain.

9 Likes

First of all the headline on this post is “men and women aren’t EQUALLY sexualized in comics.” Second of all, for whom do you think these were created? Mainly for women?

8 Likes

That is a cop out.

You’ve just implied that you are a police officer, leaving. Explain yourself to meeeeeeeee.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that’s possible.

You are not going to save a shitty movie with splashy visual effects alone, and you are not going to save a lousy ancient Greek tagedy with spectacle alone. That’s why Aristotle placed spectacle in last place in his list of the 6 ingredients of great tragedy. But the thing is, spectacle IS on the list. And partially nude superheroes constitute spectacle. The question is: spectacle for whom?

2 Likes

At least you know your limits.

2 Likes

I think the author would argue for men or specifically young men.

does the spectacle have to include the sexualization and objectification of women in order to draw men in?

1 Like

Censoring? I don’t see how choosing which of thousands of potential ads to display is remotely related to censoring. The boingboing folks can place any or no ads as they choose - it’s their site. Of course they get to decide what fits with their content. Forbidding them to do so - now, that would be a form of censorship.

@beschizza was soliciting input from the readership to flag questionable ads. If I were to point out that an ad for, say, homeopathic breast enlargement appeared on their site, they could choose to ignore me, or choose to not continue showing that ad, or choose to send me a pony. The homeopathic breast enlargement people aren’t being censored: they are still free to advertise anywhere that will have them.

@beschizza: please do not send me a pony. I live in a flat on the third floor.

You wouldn’t be breaking your prime directive and putting words in my mouth would you. Does the word ‘irony’ mean anything to you?

There is a whole thread for a group meditation on the word Irony now, actually.

1 Like

Certainly the fashion industry (like most) is mostly run by men. But the GOAL is present an aspirational image to women in an attempt to sell them the tools (clothes, shoes, makeup, shampoo etc…) to achieve it. And what women aspire to is not exclusively a creation of the fashion industry. To some extant comic books also present a (far less realistic) aspirational image. More focused on “strong enough that nobody F’s with me,” than sexual. But I suspect that handbags and some of the other impedimenta marketed in fashion magazine is more about successfuly competing with other females, and not primarily for male attention.