North Carolina Chick-fil-A fined for paying workers in Chick-fil-A vouchers and having minors operating trash compactor

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

See? Actually paying employees would be halfway to condemning them to damnation;. Some fundie law shop is probably already working on a Hobby Lobby style argument that minimum wages are an unconstitutional imposition on religious liberty…

3 Likes

Matthew 19:14 was obviously an admonition of adults who weren’t letting little children work in trash compactors.

3 Likes

I flattened so many car engines in that thing…

As long as they attend the company church and tithe one tenth of their vouchers.

5 Likes

I’m no historician, but I’m with you on that. Anywhere big enough to have food supplies and groups of people who aren’t entirely involved with subsistence farming must surely generate their own CMOT Dibblers.

7 Likes

I think that’s a universal law… :laughing:

5 Likes

“They overturned Dibbler’s cart and forced him to eat two of his sausages-in-a-bun!”

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

6 Likes

Great question! I have no idea. I would guess that it was common in cities where people worked as laborers, and where the food supply allowed for restaurants.

4 Likes

Tom Hanks Thank You GIF

Any idea who has written on the topic whether it’s the Roman empire or just sort of urban history in the ancient world?

5 Likes

Cathy Kaufman’s Cooking in Ancient Civilizations is the one that springs to mind. She, and others, describe fried fish as something commonly sold in the streets of Ancient Greece. The Greeks say it was an Egyptian thing, which is what Ancient Greek writers said when the wanted to describe something as low-class. The Ancient Greeks saw it as something that poor people ate, likely because they didn’t have cooking hearths in their homes. The Egyptians took street food for granted, which means it’s certainly much, much older.

11 Likes

sumerian maybe? i think cuneiform was invented mainly to take food orders :wink:

and on the other side of the world around the same time ( they apparently used quipu for their tickets )

6 Likes

Oh! Sounds interesting! Thanks! I’ll put it on my list!

4 Likes

Maybe. I suspect @Mindysan33 is correct: it’s probably a common feature of dense urban life. Not everyone would have been able to afford a home with a hearth, and laborers in general would have needed food. In Rome the poor would have been given bread each day by the government (hence the symbolism of “give us this day our daily bread”—trying to reorient people from the emperor to the Hebrew God), but for the late day main meal they’d have to get food somewhere. Street food makes sense.

10 Likes

agreed. and i’d imagine anytime there’s some sort of currency, all the possible niche jobs show up. selling food most especially

6 Likes

‘Meat! Meat onna stick!’

5 Likes

I kind of feel like there is a whole-ass academic treatise on how CMOT Dibbler is some universal figure found in all cultures…

4 Likes