North Carolina Chick-fil-A fined for paying workers in Chick-fil-A vouchers and having minors operating trash compactor

Originally published at: North Carolina Chick-fil-A fined for paying workers in Chick-fil-A vouchers and having minors operating trash compactor | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Leave it to a company run under “good Christian values” to engage in these business practises.

34 Likes

Conservative Evangelical Christian values in action, y’all. Pay close attention. This is what they have in mind for all of us “lesser-thans.”

37 Likes

I distinctly remember operating the trash compactor (that smell is with me for life) (metaphorically) at the supermarket where I worked as a teenager. When did these newfangled “child labor laws” come about?

5 Likes

Yeah, cardboard bailer in my case, but started when I was 15.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that one was everyone’s favorite! All the fun of operating heavy machinery, none of the smell of freshly squeezed garbage juice.

16 Likes

They want to go back to the old days… when the vast majority of people survived with subsistence farming.

11 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of “Take your gruel and be glad of it! Now get back to work!”

13 Likes

The gruel expenditures are too great, how can we streamline this?

12 Likes

Sawdust!! Cheap and filling!

15 Likes

And human beings were chattel property

9 Likes

About the same time when people noticed that theirs kids were being maimed for life or killed because they should not have been operating heavy machinery without proper training.

Remember: OSHA regulations are written in blood.

I’m surprised someone at Chik-Fil-A’s corporate hasn’t pulled their franchisee’s license, TBH.

23 Likes

Not surprised in the least.

19 Likes

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “If anyone is unwilling to work, he shall not eat.”

This, and worse:
Poor-houses. Work camps.

And that’s for those they don’t outright exterminate.
The LGBTQ population is at the top of that list.

Dirt is cheaper. Probably more flavorful, too.
Might be a way to deal with those Superfund sites.

But, but, but, those regulations KILL profits, and, so, are pure communism!
Why do you hate America?
/s

I’ll be kinda surprised if they do.

14 Likes

But Jesus wants it that way!

Hey, at least you know they get Sundays off.

8 Likes

Chicken tender ≠ legal tender. Or so my landlord keeps telling me.

19 Likes

I’m fairly certain that Jesus did not say “suffer all the children go work in fast food for vouchers and perform dangerous acts of labor”…

15 Likes

Though Rome is sometimes credited for inventing fast food

3 Likes

I don’t know that historiography, but I bet that there was long a “street food” culture around the world, as long as humans started building cities with commercial infrastructure…

Actually… @anon33932455, you teach a class on food, any ideas about that? Did the Romans invent fast food, or is it just sort of a common feature of cities with a brisk commercial life?

11 Likes

I believe in 1938, with the Fair Labor Standards Act.