North Dakota Republicans propose $1500 fines for using pronouns that upset them

Originally published at: North Dakota Republicans propose $1500 fines for using pronouns that upset them | Boing Boing

16 Likes

The “party of small government” can’t help reaching when its members find a new* way to bully a group it doesn’t like.

[* Not that deliberately mis-naming people is an original tactic with fascists.]

44 Likes

David Clemons? She was always an asshole.

38 Likes

The party of small minded government

Though the cruelty and hate are very large

28 Likes

It’s a bit much for a small, disadvantaged community to keep up with. We simply don’t have the resources. It’s overwhelming.

Happy New Years!

My resolution is to outlive these bastards.

47 Likes

Yeah, it feels like I’ve barely been holding it together this month.

27 Likes

What makes you think this legislator doesn’t follow this commandment? Read it very carefully, like a lawyer might.

8 Likes

I wish I had more hope to offer. But we’re in a place where we trans people need to plan for the worst.

Always fight, of course. But don’t leave your survival up to others or institutions.

34 Likes

Just know that there are many non-LGBTQ+ people standing behind you, @mspie500, and our other trans brothers and sisters. Ultimately these hatemongers are themselves a minority – just one with a lot of greedpig money behind them. In terms of numbers of people, you are not alone in this fight.

The odds are in your favour there.

40 Likes

Bingo. And I think there’s a section of Leviticus that states “Rules lawyers shall have rabid weasels sewn to their nethers.”

33 Likes

That’s very much appreciated.

Still - do what one can to ensure their safety outside of the institutions and people that won’t protect us and will harm us. And have an actionable escape plan to safer places ready.

Which is easy to say- but difficult to implement- and may be beyond an individual’s resources.

20 Likes

Perhaps not at my age.

9 Likes

I’m watching Texas carefully. Time and time again the state’s leadership is putting forth terrible legislation on so many fronts as model for other states. It’s like a Mirror Universe version of California. This despite obvious opposition in dynamic and cosmopolitan cities like Austin and Houston.

I’ll bet you beat out a lot of the late Boomers and early Xers pushing this garbage, along with the decrepit geriatric hatemongers. These guys always look a decade older than their actual ages and are constantly stewing in outrage over stuff they don’t have to.

This is David Clemens, BTW:

The picture of health!

25 Likes

Is the new strategy to make so many obviously constitutionally invalid laws all at once that the ACLU can’t keep up?

17 Likes

But not without cost. If I need to leave the US - I may have to accept losing one of my eyes. Any break in treatment may cause that.

19 Likes

Damn - I suspect there’s a lot of lizard dna in his background.

16 Likes

Just a reminder that if anyone needs somewhere to go on the west coast, I have a spare bedroom in Tijuana.

25 Likes

It’s important to consider that safety for the broader community may differ from that for trans people. The UK being an obvious example. I wouldn’t consider moving there.

23 Likes

Is “asshole” a pronoun?

31 Likes

tenor

25 Likes